Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve looked for something that looks like dots or marks but haven’t seen anything. I will have to look closer! Do you have any pics of what I am looking for and where?

Just Google Ford timing chain replacement or you might try 5.4 or 4.6. They're all the same. There's like a bronze or a colored link you put where the mark is.
Should be lots of YouTube videos and some pictures of it too. I can't stand videos but I will search for something later when I get to a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks-I will re-watch the video of the guy removing the head on a navigator without pulling the motor. Now I am at that point, I’ll probably get more out of the video!!

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the practice of getting the crankshaft turned like it says in the shop manual so the marks line up and it will be easier to put back together?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the practice of getting the crankshaft turned like it says in the shop manual so the marks line up and it will be easier to put back together?QUOTE]

Yes. You never want to take an engine apart until you line up the timing marks. You also never want to turn the crankshaft without the timing chains all lined up and hooked up if the heads are on because on many engines you would bang valves with the Pistons. If they were not lined up on the right teeth because it would be out of time.
If you are pulling the heads you can just take the chains off and not worry too much about it it gets a little complicated I'm interference Motors you would cut one head on at a time and and these motors case you would have to do the head that is fun by the inside timing chain first. So you would turn the engine until all the Pistons on that head none are at top dead center which is what the mark usually does. Then put that hat on and line up the dots to the special links. Then you would rotate the camshaft on the other had to get it close to where it needs to go before you bolted it on. Just watch a bunch of the videos and read the tutorials because it's a little complex on a Ford and even more complex on a dohc.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, my phone keeps messing up the quote and you'll have to expand it.

I got it-easy to expand the post! Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. You explain things better than what I read and try to digest! You are a really big help and I appreciate it immensely.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got it-easy to expand the post! Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. You explain things better than what I read and try to digest! You are a really big help and I appreciate it immensely.

Full disclosure, I've never done timing chain or cams on a 4.6 or 5.4 because I've never had to. They're such good engines you never have to take them apart. When I have problems with them they just lock up and seized up and they're not worth taking apart I just take the heads off and sell them for aluminum and sell the block for scrap iron and put a good used running engine in the vehicle.
But I do know how to do a lot of things that I've never actually done. Because gosh, it's not like I'm an overachiever or anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That video guy,ford tech makuloco has some good video's on the 5.4l 3 valve. I'm pretty sure the timing chain procedures are almost the same. I believe the gears have dots engraved into the front of them as well. You may have to get that rope out after all.Good luck girl.