Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember to use some assembly lube on the cam bearing surfaces and lobes to prevent a dry start up. It's good to take an oil squirt can and squirt motor oil on any moving parts too. Like the timing chains and guides, cylinder walls, rocker arms, etc.... I would leave the crankshaft position sensor unplugged and just crank the motor for a minute to get the oil pressure up and oil cavities full, before actually starting the motor. Leave the sparkplugs out until you get the heads and timing gear back together to make it easier to rotate the crankshaft by hand to make sure timing is correct and there's no piston on valve interference issue. Then install and properly torque the sparkplugs. If you did not pull the drain plugs out of the sides of the block before removing the heads, you may very well have coolant in your oil pan, and this requires an oil change before ever cranking the motor. You don't want to introduce coolant into the oil passages. Drain the oil, and if you do in fact see water (it'll come out first before the oil...) spray some brake cleaner into the oil pan after you think all the oil is out, just to help flush any more water out. The brake cleaner will quickly evaporate and won't affect your new oil. I might've missed it in your previous posts, but I Melling High Volume oil pump upgrade is highly recommended too.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lincoln,2001,navigator,5.4l+v8,1434768,engine,oil+pump,5564

Thank you for this. I did plan on an oil change and you touched on some things that I was going to ask and also things I would not have thought of!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also you might replace the crankshaft position sensor there on the timing cover before you reinstall the cover ( Motorcraft DY922 ). It's a lot easier that way, rather than fighting with the AC compressor if it goes bad in the future. Make sure to clean out the harness plug with some contact cleaner or brake cleaner because the way they mount they collect grime over the years. Once it's cleaned out apply a little dielectric grease to it before you plug it back in. That'll help keep moisture out of it and prevent hard starting or no starting problems later on.

DY922-FRO__ra_p.jpg

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also you might replace the crankshaft position sensor there on the timing cover before you reinstall the cover ( Motorcraft DY922 ). It's a lot easier that way, rather than fighting with the AC compressor if it goes bad in the future. Make sure to clean out the harness plug with some contact cleaner or brake cleaner because the way they mount they collect grime over the years. Once it's cleaned out apply a little dielectric grease to it before you plug it back in. That'll help keep moisture out of it and prevent hard starting or no starting problems later on.

DY922-FRO__ra_p.jpg

Another great piece of advice! Thank you.

Tommie

Reaction score
I know the timing procedure seems overwhelming ford girl but this is a rare chance to do the job and It isn't too bad with some of the videos on it, the standard melling pump is cheap and better than OEM, BUT the high volume is more but with you having an extra set of cams and more running gear on the top end it would probably be highly recommended, just remember to check over and over that you don't have any piston to valve clearance issues before you throw the key in and start it...Hand crank over and over. I'll see if I can find a few good videos for you

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question about cleaning the surfaces on the block and head where the head gasket will be:

Of course the service manual recommends motorcraft metal surface prep which contains orthophosphoric acid. This stuff seems rather hard to find and really pricey. What do you guys use?

There are other cleaners that contain phosphoric acid such as naval jelly. Is the acid necessary? I have the surfaces nice and clean with no gasket residue left.