Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am using the sealant the service manual recommended-it’s a black permatex, ultra I think.
I did not get a new seal probably bc I ordered the gaskets separately. I do have a new seal coming as I feel I should replace it. The valve covers are not on yet. I will tape the shaft and attempt to do the seal. If it’s too problematic, I will take the cover off.
Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just noticed your links!
I did look up a seal puller at HF-I will pick one up.
That is the sealant I am using.
Thanks again!

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good stuff! Just don't do what I did and keep the old thicker crank reluctor wheel on if you received a new thinner one with a new crank sprocket. Not using the newer reluctor sprocket in combination with the new (thicker) crank sprocket caused the timing cover to crack on torquing down the cover bolts because of the reluctor wheel protruding out more. Caused a load of pressure on the timing cover against the reluctor wheel and cracked the hell out of it. I spent the next couple weeks trying to find one online, and finally had to go to a junkyard to get a new cover. It's looking good as new with the aluminum spray paint job I did. :rocking:
Damn it! I was elated how easily I was able to pop the seal out of the cover workout taking it off. My elation quickly turned to horror as I noticed I had done the same thing Ulver had tried to warn me about.
I did not receive a new reluctor wheel with my timing kit and my new crank sprocket matched up to the old one so I don’t think it was thicker. But, somehow I cracked my engine cover where that wheel is. You can even see the tooth marks in the cover. How could this happen if everything was the same thickness as the parts that came off? Is it possible I did not have the reluctor wheel all the way in?
Now I have to find a new cover. Can I use the same seals (they were new when i put them on last week)?
Should I shop for a thinner reluctor wheel to make sure this doesn’t happen again?
This really stinks!

Attachments

• 9BDF64D4-FD60-4134-B5DE-1AFDFB769DA4.jpeg
    9BDF64D4-FD60-4134-B5DE-1AFDFB769DA4.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 847347EF-00CB-4635-9D54-2D582F3775AA.jpeg
    847347EF-00CB-4635-9D54-2D582F3775AA.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since I had to move on after the engine cover discovery, I decided to get my roller followers out of the jug of oil I have kept them in and check them out. I kept the one that had fallen off separate (on the valve that ended up being stuck) to make sure I knew which one to look more closely at (top left one in the pics). They all look fine to me and roll freely. The only thing I noticed on the one that was off is a little mark near the hole. Will they be OK to put back on, or is there a reason to get new ones?

Attachments

• 5F091409-CD81-48C2-8307-71956606CFF3.jpeg
    5F091409-CD81-48C2-8307-71956606CFF3.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 2E066470-BC9E-4560-B84C-C0A90240690E.jpeg
    2E066470-BC9E-4560-B84C-C0A90240690E.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 4

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of your crank timing chain sprocket, and the reluctor wheel you plan on using ?

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sprockets are already on. They were in the melling kit. I’ll snap a pic the best I can and get a pic of the reluctor wheel (it’s the original-I did not get one in the timing kit).

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wanted to check the crankshaft sprocket you used. But most likely you need the updated stamped steel reluctor wheel.
The part number for the timing cover should be in the upper right corner of the cover.

These two go together ...
420022_.jpg

5.4 Stamped Steel Reluctor Wheel

Last edited:

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Damn it! I was elated how easily I was able to pop the seal out of the cover workout taking it off. My elation quickly turned to horror as I noticed I had done the same thing Ulver had tried to warn me about.
I did not receive a new reluctor wheel with my timing kit and my new crank sprocket matched up to the old one so I don’t think it was thicker. But, somehow I cracked my engine cover where that wheel is. You can even see the tooth marks in the cover. How could this happen if everything was the same thickness as the parts that came off? Is it possible I did not have the reluctor wheel all the way in?
Now I have to find a new cover. Can I use the same seals (they were new when i put them on last week)?
Should I shop for a thinner reluctor wheel to make sure this doesn’t happen again?
This really stinks!
Damnit is right! I'm sorry to hear that it happened to you as well. When it happens it definitely lets know you when you hear that big POP. Yes, you definitely need the thinner reluctor wheel unfortunately. I really wish that they had left it alone and just kept the original crank sprocket design. I just recently saw someone else post the same thing, so that's three people in one month who made the same mistake. ;-(

You know what though, hold off on getting a new timing cover. I have an extra one that was the wrong size for my vehicle that may be a match for you. I really need to get rid of it but I don't want to junk it. If you want take a photo of the entire thing and doing a measurement across and we can see if mine matches. If it does I'll send it to you and all I ask is the shipping cost.