Coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EExpynew16

Reaction score
Wanted to get thoughts by folks that know more than me. I recently purchased a 2016 Expy El 3.6 eco. I have had the vehicle for about 8 months. I noticed that over that period of time I have had to add about a gallon and a half of coolant. And recently noticed an area underneath front-center that appeared to be coolant like. The coolant reservoir was drained. I took the vehicle into the shop and pressure tested with no signs of leak. Test drive and "other diagnostics" couldn't find anything wrong. Their thought was that due to the turbos the coolant may be evaporating and causing this to occur. This doesn't really make sense to me but I am not mechanically inclined.

Any insight would be helpful. The car has a warranty but contracts through specific mechanics. I could get a second opinion but if all it is is evaporation under turbo load then I would be fine with topping off every once in a while.

Thanks in advance for the help!

OP
OP
E

EExpynew16

Reaction score
Oh and also in addition to evaporation, the fluid i found on the ground could be from oil/ac condensation mix from a recent oil change 4 months ago, and leaking from the skid plate.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wanted to get thoughts by folks that know more than me. I recently purchased a 2016 Expy El 3.6 eco. I have had the vehicle for about 8 months. I noticed that over that period of time I have had to add about a gallon and a half of coolant. And recently noticed an area underneath front-center that appeared to be coolant like. The coolant reservoir was drained. I took the vehicle into the shop and pressure tested with no signs of leak. Test drive and "other diagnostics" couldn't find anything wrong. Their thought was that due to the turbos the coolant may be evaporating and causing this to occur. This doesn't really make sense to me but I am not mechanically inclined.

Any insight would be helpful. The car has a warranty but contracts through specific mechanics. I could get a second opinion but if all it is is evaporation under turbo load then I would be fine with topping off every once in a while.

Thanks in advance for the help!

How many miles?

I bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. The dealer has replaced the coolant overflow reservoir (leaking), several coolant hoses (leaking) and the water pump (leaking) - all under the Ford extended warranty, but before 80,000 miles.

I use the vehicle strictly for passenger use - no towing or heavy cargo.

The dealer failed to diagnose the leaking water pump the first time with a pressure test. I returned in a week, and insisted they do a better job since I was still losing coolant. They put the vehicle on a lift and could see the water pump leak.

That is a lot of coolant to lose. You must have it diagnosed and repaired before you overheat and damage or ruin the engine.

Good luck.

OP
OP
E

EExpynew16

Reaction score
Thanks, it has just under 70k miles right now. I'll have to investigate some more. There was no reported leaking when they got it on the lift. But the vehicle also sat for 5 days while we were out of town.

I haven't used it under load really at all. (No towing) Giving it a goose every once in a while getting on the interstate is about the extent. My wife is the one that day to day drives, very mild conditions and maybe 10 miles a week.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360