cost to replace a fuel filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10sne1

Reaction score
What should I expect to pay to have a new fuel filter put on a 2008 Expy?
It has 45K thinking a fuel filler change while it's in for an oil change. Just don't know how big of job this is?
Thanks Tomm

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my dealer charged $50 when it was there for an oil change when I first bought it.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had mine done for less than 30 at my local goodyear... was too lazy to change it and oil last year....

petiboy

Reaction score
Ive been trying to change mine for the past couple days,
I finally figured out how to relieve the fuel pressure, now Im trying to figure out how to disengage those tiny plastic clips on the fuel line connections to the filter.

Any hints ?

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you need a special tool that you slip over the pipe on the filter and into the hose. it releases the clips that slide over the ridge on the filter. can get one at auto zone advanced pepboys or any of those. just make sure it is the right size for ford. i did mine and it was a pita but that was without a jack or ramps or anything.

dj2big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually I buy the fuel filter and leave it on the passenger seat when I get an oil change. Surprisingly every time I do that whomever changes the oil swaps out the fuel filter and I tip them $10 bucks. I have done this at all kinds of different dealerships with different brands. It works. I have also gotten belts changed just by leaving it on the passenger seat. When they take my car into the service bay, I go outside the service door and start chatting with whomever is working on the car. Take a peak at the under carriage etc. Then they ask if I want them to change the fuel filter or belt and I say sure Ill buy you lunch. Funny thing is these guys just like working on cars and most will do it for free as long as you have the part. I have become good acquaintances with mechanics give them tickets to ball games gift cards for Christmas and when I need major work done they will do it on the side at the dealer and the service desk guys cover for them. I had engine rebuilt for like $500 plus parts from the dealers best mechanic and I still tipped him an extra $250 gave him tickets to 6 flags for his kids. I have had major warranty issues go smooth without any BS. Treating service guys good will go a long way. I have had one service desk guy try to take advantage of me some new guy and sure enough the guys that know me took care of everything. I know fuel filters belts brakes are not a big deal but when you get to know your service people they take care of your care better because it becomes personal.