CRANK, NO START.....2004 - 4.6 - XLS - 19.7K MILES - BOUGHT NEW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CRANK, NO START. HAS HAPPENED 3-5 TIMES OVER 3 TEARS. PRESSED FUEL RESET SWITCH, NOW RUNS WELL.

DO NOT HEAR A DISCERNABLE "CLICK" WHEN DEPRESSING SWITCH.....
SHOULD THERE BE A 'CLICK' WHEN PRESSING SWITCH?

SYMPTOMS: DO NOT HEAR FUEL PUMP RUN PRIOR TO START. IS THAT A PROBLEM?
WHAT MAY HAVE CAUSED SWITCH TO TURN OFF..... NO COLLISION, NO ROAD BUMPS, ETC. ?

TRUCK USED SPARINGLY, MAY GO A MONTH OR TWO WITHOUT OPERATION....PROBLEM?

REPLACE RELAY?, BY-PASS SWITCH? LEAVE SWITCH AND RELAY ALONE?

HAVE NOT TESTED FUEL PRESSURE YET. IF TRUCK RUNS AFTER FUEL RE-SET SWITCH ACTIVATION, DOES THAT PRECLUE A FAULTY FUEL PUMP?

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could just be a weak switch. Vehicles that are rarely driven develop weird issues. The switches are cheap if you just want to replace it to eliminate it as a culprit. Other than that you'd have to do a fuel rail pressure test when your No Start problem is happening and start chasing other things. But since you've narrowed it down in the past to the fuel inertia safety switch I'd start there.

Ford Expedition Fuel Pump Inertia Safety Switch

OP
OP
Don Hall

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hamfisted, thank you for your informative reply.
Re the switch: does a properly working switch click when activated? My switch is just soft to the touch, no click. While my son turned the start key, I kept pushing the switch,
and the truck started and ran. Do I by-pass the switch, or replace with new?