Cruise control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have an eddie bauer expedition with a 5.4. We bought it used from someone. The cruise control will not come on at all. These are things we have done to it so far.
Changed clock spring
Changed out switches
6 pin harness has power
Wired and performed self test and I got a flash for each button and no flashes after including the throttle being engaged at end of test.
Checked fuses and everything is fine.
Has anyone else got any idea why it just won't come one? Thank you so much in advance

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First welcome to the Forum

What switches have you changed out or checked You may have missed one
Also How did you check fuses With a volt meter? Test light? Ohm meter? Or just by looking at them??

Ok you have a EB with a 5.4 Care to let us in on the year other than it being a 2nd gen Ford makes many changes to wiring so it is more helpful to know the year

OP
OP
Jessica Franco
Reaction score
Thank you for responding! My husband just looked at the fuses..and I believe it was #5, #6, #12, #28..it's a 2004. We checked the harness on the servo, we also checked the speed control inhibitor switch under the brake pedal. I think that's what it's called. We put a wire and did the self test and the buttons all flashed but no code at the end.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does he have the wiring diagrams and if so what manual does he have or where did he get prints from

Ask him to check fuse #8

OP
OP
Jessica Franco
Reaction score
No we do not have manuals or wiring diagrams..we are going off google. He thought maybe the servo was bad but would that cause the cruise control to not come on at all? And I will have him check that fuse.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First you hit my sore point, looks can be deceiving. NEVER check a fuse just by looking at it. Although it may look good you have no way of knowing if it is passing voltage. Use a meter or test lamp and if you use them then you don't need to pull a fuse

Have hubby read the attached link and have him get a good multi meter. Doesn't have to be an expensive one just a good one

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/fuse-testing-101.24587/

Forget about fuse #8 was my error The only fuses that you need to be concerned about are #5, #12 and #28
fuse #5 and #12 have power in and out at all times Fuse #28 will only have power when the key is in the start or run position

There are two switches under the dash one is on the brake pedal arm and the other is nearby
The brake pedal position switch and the deactivator switch

I am attaching the prints that he will need to troubleshoot the circuit

[

31-01.jpg

31-02.jpg

31-03.jpg

OP
OP
Jessica Franco
Reaction score
Ok I will definitely have him check again. We spent all day yesterday trouble shooting and buying parts we thought we needed. We are beyond frustrated with this cruise control but we want it to work. I will show him the diagrams..thank you so much

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have an 04 and my cruise control doesn't work Just haven't taken the time to fix it yet and a hardly use the CC when I tow the camper I have had other issues that were more important to fix first. Understand your frustrations.

Where in Texas are you located

He only needs to be concerned with the first two prints I will see if I can attach better prints

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Attached are prints from the 03 expy They are the same as the 04 except for the area that shows EARLY PRODUCTION on the 03 prints

Attachments

• 31-02.pdf
    25.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 31-03.pdf
    28.6 KB · Views: 8