Damn, The repairs doesn’t end!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2000 is serving my brother in law well. I rebuilt the front end (ball joints, upper and lower control arms, disc, rotors, sway bar bushings, brake hoses) for about $1000 in parts (Moog, Powerstop) about 3 years ago. Replaced plugs and COPs (MSD) at 100K. Rebuilt trans at 65K (torque converter blew) Currently at 155K and going strong. I owned it from 2003 until 2019 and other than oil changes this was it. Still cheaper than new. So I did upgrade to a 2009 EB EL because I really wanted the EL.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the tale of my 2000 near its end of life with me. I was blowing through radiators every couple months. I finally dumped several bottles of stop leak in it and sold it to a friend’s brother (I fully disclosed the Stop Leak) and he’s been driving it for last 19 months.

My replacement 2014 has been virtually trouble free in the 30k miles I’ve had it. And so much more comfortable to operate: it cruises at 67 decibels at 65 mph (my 2000 was in the mid 80s), it’s faster off the line, heated/cooled seats, better stereo, steering wheel audio controls……. I could go on and on.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Sounds like the tale of my 2000 near its end of life with me. I was blowing through radiators every couple months. I finally dumped several bottles of stop leak in it and sold it to a friend’s brother (I fully disclosed the Stop Leak) and he’s been driving it for last 19 months.

My replacement 2014 has been virtually trouble free in the 30k miles I’ve had it. And so much more comfortable to operate: it cruises at 67 decibels at 65 mph (my 2000 was in the mid 80s), it’s faster off the line, heated/cooled seats, better stereo, steering wheel audio controls……. I could go on and on.

That’s what I would look for, a 2014 last gen of 5.4’s, with lower miles.

87comanche

Reaction score
This year just did

4 cats plus pipes
Alternator
Starter
Battery
Front brakes

Now it’s the F’king upper control arms and one lower ball joint.

All the brands suck.
Ive got OE Motorcraft ball joints lasted 2 friggin years
The uppers are currently Moog.
The front shocks are weeping and those are the Monroe coil over also 2-3 years old.
They all suck!

Now I have to read till my eyeballs fall out figuring out what pos brand I’m going with.
Oh did I mention I’m going to need tires soon? Fuuuu!

Enough to go buy a friggin chevy.
Lemforderor go cheap. if they're only gonna last a couple years, why spring for middle of the road or slightly better? go top shelf or keep the money in your wallet. get a complete front from Detroit Axle on fleabay, use the control arms and you'll be sitting on a front end suspension stash and the entire set is less than just a name brand control arm set.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Lemforderor go cheap. if they're only gonna last a couple years, why spring for middle of the road or slightly better? go top shelf or keep the money in your wallet. get a complete front from Detroit Axle on fleabay, use the control arms and you'll be sitting on a front end suspension stash and the entire set is less than just a name brand control arm set.

I’ll look them up thanks for great idea

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score

Damn! Great value. 13pc kit $139!!! THANK YOU!!’n

Brons2

Reaction score
That’s what I would look for, a 2014 last gen of 5.4’s, with lower miles.

I'd rather have the Ecoboost, personally, if I was going newer. I drove a 2015 prior to buying my 2010 and it was a lot stronger, but the price was not where I needed it to be.

Nobody can say the Ecoboost has a lot of problems who came from a 5.4 3v.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Nah. I’m not a believer in ecoboost engines. I don’t want turbo and they suffer from same cam phaser issues.

txbowhunter

Reaction score
THE HELL YOU SAY ON THE CHEVY :upyours: :Stupid Me:
I'm currently working on replacing all the tranny line just because of a leak on one of them. I've already been through the suspension 2 yrs ago and hate to stop now :banghead:, and that's not counting all the other crap on the the engine...