Dealer forgot to put bolts back!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kind of absurd but I had my VCT replaced and two days after getting the car back I notice these two bolts sitting under the front wipers today!

Looks like some fools forgot to put these back, anyone know what these go to?

I’m assuming something to do with the engine block, VCT or components they had to remove but hoping it's something like the hood or less severe!

Not even sure what to do. Drive straight to the dealer for the idiots to make me wait all night or even worse keep the car yet again?

car.jpg

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
I’d be upset too.. shotty work. However things happen. I’d speak to the service manager in a reasonable manor and get it fixed correctly by another mechanic.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drove the car straight to the dealer and immediately another service rep said it's probably a 1 time use bolt. Had two technicians come take a look and right away they said it's probably one time use fuel rail bolts. They removed the cover and sure enough, one time use fuel rail bolts. The guy who did the work on the car admitted he probably shouldn't place the old bolts there anymore just in case he forgets them! Crisis averted haha.

Dclr

Reaction score
That is disconcerting to say the least.

Unless we’re talking warranty work, I’ve always favored taking my rig to a local shop where I can interact with the shop manager and techs and have some history.

Too many dealers seem to hire any knucklehead with a set of tools and send them out on the floor.

Yes they may be ‘factory certified and trained’ but when the service manager is calling you halfway down the road b/c the tech forgot to refill your oil during a routine oil change doesn’t really instill confidence. (Heard this more than once from a seasoned Honda mechanic)

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is disconcerting to say the least.

Unless we’re talking warranty work, I’ve always favored taking my rig to a local shop where I can interact with the shop manager and techs and have some history.

Too many dealers seem to hire any knucklehead with a set of tools and send them out on the floor.

Yes they may be ‘factory certified and trained’ but when the service manager is calling you halfway down the road b/c the tech forgot to refill your oil during a routine oil change doesn’t really instill confidence. (Heard this more than once from a seasoned Honda mechanic)

It also just adds insult to injury too since they don’t want to own up to replacing the turbo/wastegate under warranty.

But yea, I opened up my hood upon getting the car back to make it everything looked good but didn’t think to look behind the damn hood for random parts sitting there hah!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fun part after my VCT fix was that a ton of my chassis, the skid plates, etc were all covered in oil and after one drive, there was antifreeze spilling. Meant they likely just fill the overflow reservoir to try and fill the system.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That would drive me nuts.

The only benefit of me revisiting the service department was another service advisor chimed in regarding my original service advisor not wanting to fix the wastegate / turbo rattle (because Ford may not reimburse them for the warranty work) and he said they should be doing what’s right for the customer, not them.

So I’m definitely calling that service advisor in a month and asking for them to fix the rattle once and for all![/QUOTE]

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
I’m glad that was the case. I still like the dealer, or at least my dealership.
I still think they do good work

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick update on my side, spoke to the service advisor today. Sounds like Ford has told them to try what's in the TSB for the 2017 F150 and replace both wastegate actuators rather than the turbos themselves. I'll give it a shot but I can't believe the cockiness in manufacturers to tell people to just keep trying stuff. Is our time and the inconvenience not worth a dime to them, I guess not.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick update on my side, spoke to the service advisor today. Sounds like Ford has told them to try what's in the TSB for the 2017 F150 and replace both wastegate actuators rather than the turbos themselves. I'll give it a shot but I can't believe the cockiness in manufacturers to tell people to just keep trying stuff. Is our time and the inconvenience not worth a dime to them, I guess not.

Yea to them it’s no big deal hunting around for a cheaper solution but to us it’s a week or more without your car and a handful of not pleasant experiences.

I’ll admit though, I’d be happy with that route rather than my dealer saying they don’t want to even try it because they might not get reimbursed. I’m going to mention to my service advisor that your dealer said that though. Maybe mine will try then.