Dealer Recommends Transmission change at 44K. Is this a money grab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2017 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD with 44,000 miles. I bought it from Hertz 18 months ago when it had 39,000 miles on it.

I take it to my dealer (Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas) every 6 months for "The Works". Today they told me "Based on time and mileage, transmission fluid is due to be changed." The owner's manual says to change the transmission fluid every 150,000 miles.

I have had absolutely no problems with this vehicle. I never tow anything and don't drive it hard.

I didn't change it. I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on this. Is this a typical dealer suggestion?

Thanks for any information.

OP
OP
John M

John M

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I think they wanted to do a power flush since the price they quoted was $400.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hyundai (dealership I bought my Coupe from) tried that on me.

40,000 miles, in for an annual inspection. The service person asks me when I want to schedule it for the 40,000 mile check up/service visit.

I ask what that covers. She says (among other things) draining the transmission and refilling it with new fluid, draining the coolant system and flushing it and adding new coolant. A couple filters (engine intake and cabin filters and I had both of those in the truck I'd bought when I came in for the inspection). The price? Just over $400.

I'm stunned. Transmission flush and fluid change??? Coolant system flush and fluid change??? I ask why and she tells me Hyundai recommends it. I tell her that it's a manual transmission, not an automatic. She said she knows that. I tell her even my 4WD trucks/SUVs go 60,000 miles before draining and adding new fluid. She looks at me and says Hyundai recommends it.

I'm stubborn. I ask her if I go out to the car, grab the owners manual and look at the recommended maintenance schedule will it tell me every 40,000 miles for transmission and coolant changes? She sort of flutters her eyes, shakes her hair/head and the tune changes. She says (this time) that it's a "dealer recommended" maintenance interval. So, now we've gone from Hyundai recommended to dealer recommended.

I told her I would go read the manual and get back to her if the dealer recommended maintenance was really necessary. She handed me my key fob and I left.

The book says - Manual transmission is never, unless you race it or use it under harsh conditions. The coolant change is at just over 100,000 miles.

I have not stepped foot in the dealership in over 4 years not and when I bought my wife a new car I got her and nice Mitsubishi Outlander.

I hate it when people smile at me and try to rip me off. Hate it.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have worked in a shop in my younger days, and I do much of my own work even now. they are trying to take your money. unless you have reason to suspect a problem leave the trans alone. I would change auto trans fluid every 100,000 miles or every 5-10 years, depending on use.
if you do have reason to suspect an issue, the first thing I would do is change the fluid.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At least we have some smart people in here.
Total rip off.

Plus a flush is worse than just doing a pan drop and filter change BUT it is EASIER for them and THEY CHARGE MORE FOR it. Just wrong I tell you.

Another reason to stay away from dealers AND garages- most are no better.

You can sometimes find a one or two man shop that is so busy they don't have time to do extra stuff you don't need!
Busy means they are probably good too.

I vote for only using people on the side from referrals for friends etc (not tha plenty of people have "their mechanic" that has been hosing them for years) but this is better that shops.

You should always have the option of providing your own parts too.

The only best way is to do it yourself or get you kid into auto repair at JVS school....That's Career or Career Technical Center now I think....Lol

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is something to consider. All the automatic transmissions today are basically electronically controlled hydraulic machines. Due to government mileage mandates they have become confined into smaller areas and operate at higher temperatures than years ago. This requires synthetic trans fluid (hydraulic fluid) to stave off the higher operating temps.
In heavy diesel hydraulic construction equipment it is recommended to change fluid every 1000 hrs of operation dependig on OEM.

So depending on how much you drive your car daily that could be equivalent to very year or two. We recommend to students about every 30-40,000 miles. And there is no such thing as life time fluid.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have changed mine every 40k miles, the transmission always seems to change a bit better after changing the transmission oil. My car does pull a large enclosed trailer occasionally, so far I have more than 180k miles and no transmission issues, I consider it cheap insurance!! I change the diff oil at the same time, I could probably leave it longer, but as I am underneath doing the transmission it just seems to make sense to do the transfer box and differentials at the same time..

Gary