Dealer says rack/pinion leaking at both ends....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife picked up the Expedition after it's AC service was complete only to call me 20 minutes later and day it wasn't coming at all. Grrr. Waters my whole Friday going back and forth to the dealer.

So, I haven't looked at it yet but the dealer said it's not bad enough that it's urgent... I'll research and probably do it myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

When replacing the AC compressor, they need to do a whole bunch of other steps and parts. Perhaps they missed something.

Here's a good video of what's involved :

Michael Shepherd

Reaction score
Probably not applicable but out current Expedition replaced a 2007 Ford Freestyle that had a history of A/C issues to include blend-door actuators getting frozen, not to mention the A/C stopped cooling completely near the end of the first year of ownership, and again shortly after the warranty expired. In both instances the dealer advised the A/C compressor was kaput and needed replacing, which was not an issue the first time as it was under warranty. The second time was out of warranty and I grew suspicious and a web search revealed this was a common issue due to a clogged compressor scroll valve, but the dealer would not replace the valve, only the entire compressor.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude but it always amazes me that people will take their vehicle to a dealer for work. These must be the same people that enrich the three card Monte players on the street.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude but it always amazes me that people will take their vehicle to a dealer for work. These must be the same people that enrich the three card Monte players on the street.
I agree but whats a monte player

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's much clearer if you Google it and watch a YouTube of it being played. It's a con game you used to find regularly on the streets of major cities. I kind of doubt you will find it anymore, perhaps.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
A leak in the Power steering, will fail NY State inspection. Assuming you can DIY. It will still need an alignment.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
When I had a little work done (rare) they said my fan belt was shot and that was 6 years ago.
Fan Belt? You have one Serpentine belt. It turns the water pump, alternator and power steering. If it breaks, your calling a tow truck. I wouldn't assume, you being automatically being ripped off.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has been leaking for ages, but the part alone - even from RockAuto - was $600+.. I added some stop leak and now only have to add a smidge of fluid every 6 months. I had a similar issue with my Mountaineer and the stop leak completely sealed the leak for 15 years.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fan Belt? You have one Serpentine belt. It turns the water pump, alternator and power steering. If it breaks, your calling a tow truck. I wouldn't assume, you being automatically being ripped off.
I always carry an extra serp and the wrench.