Dealer says rack/pinion leaking at both ends....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm already getting ready to pay 1200 bucks for new AC compressor and some other work at the dealer on my 2010 LTD. He just texted me that his guy found my rack and pinion is leaking from both ends.

I'm already watching youtube to see if I can do this work myself. What do you think?

One thing that looks difficult is doing this work from underneath on jack stands.

There is often more youtube content for F150s than Expeditions. Can I compare my 2010/Gen3 Exped to a series of F150s?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm already getting ready to pay 1200 bucks for new AC compressor and some other work at the dealer on my 2010 LTD. He just texted me that his guy found my rack and pinion is leaking from both ends.

I'm already watching youtube to see if I can do this work myself. What do you think?

One thing that looks difficult is doing this work from underneath on jack stands.

There is often more youtube content for F150s than Expeditions. Can I compare my 2010/Gen3 Exped to a series of F150s?
May it leaks a tiny bit and they want your money, take a look at it. They aren't that bad to replace.

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May it leaks a tiny bit and they want your money, take a look at it. They aren't that bad to replace.
Here the pic here sent. I'll tell him to hold off and I'll have a look at it.

14eb67271298db5942ae184382f7cd1e.jpg

emtmark

Reaction score
I’ve often wondered about the parity between f150 and our Expy.

How much is same vs different

Good question

I don’t know the answer :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

My guess would be yes. I have had both and doing any front suspension/IWE work was exactly the same. I know the steering components look identical too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you losing a lot of PS fluid? If not, then just add some every few weeks / months. From the picture it looks like it's just "sweating", not leaking (lots of old road debris stuck to it + no sign of droplets).

There are also products that can help re-seal (swell up) gaskets in the system to stop leaks. Could be a cheap fix. If not, then you can always replace it as a last resort. It shouldn't be too complicated, lots of space to work on these big Fords.

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife picked up the Expedition after it's AC service was complete only to call me 20 minutes later and day it wasn't coming at all. Grrr. Waters my whole Friday going back and forth to the dealer.

So, I haven't looked at it yet but the dealer said it's not bad enough that it's urgent... I'll research and probably do it myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife picked up the Expedition after it's AC service was complete only to call me 20 minutes later and day it wasn't coming at all. Grrr. Waters my whole Friday going back and forth to the dealer.

So, I haven't looked at it yet but the dealer said it's not bad enough that it's urgent... I'll research and probably do it myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
You might not have to if it's not dripping.