Dealership matters - my cam phaser saga

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember the Pinto and the fuel tank fires when rear ended. They, based on info and belief, knew about the issue but determined a retro fit was too costly and ignored it. Bodies continued to pile up and eventually it was resolved. That mind set is alive and well at Ford imo.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After owning GM and Dodge vehicles for 40+ years, I bought my first Ford - a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 (based upon a friend’s recommendation). I also bought the extended Ford warranty from the selling dealer.

I repeatedly had service problems with the selling dealer - poor repairs, wrong parts ordered, incorrect oil installed in engine, etc. I tried another Ford dealer.

The second Ford dealer screwed-up the customer pay oil change service on my first visit. I tried another Ford dealer, closer to my home.

The third Ford dealer service (customer pay and/or warranty work) has been hit or miss. All of the dealers seem to have a high turnover of service advisors, and care very little about the Ford customer or the work done.

I don’t know what it is about Ford - but their dealer service network is terrible. One of several reasons I’ll never buy another Ford.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd agree. Of the big three that I've owned (Ford, Jeep/Ram, and GM) I have had the best luck with th GM dealer network. Could be just dumb luck, but this is over a 25 years plus buying cars, typically every 2-3 years. I've struggled with this Expy, and it really is a a shame because it has all of the ingredients to be a great car. Just isn't fully baked yet...

dwmarks

Reaction score
Clearly depends on the dealership. My 2019 Limited Expy phasers acted up around 55k. Took it to the dealer at 59.5k - 500 miles shy of powertrain warranty expiration. They confirmed it, asked me to leave it (Wed), and I picked it up Friday afternoon. No charge for anything. About 6 months since - quiet as a mouse and runs great. Very happy with dealer response and the work done. Central PA.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clearly depends on the dealership. My 2019 Limited Expy phasers acted up around 55k. Took it to the dealer at 59.5k - 500 miles shy of powertrain warranty expiration. They confirmed it, asked me to leave it (Wed), and I picked it up Friday afternoon. No charge for anything. About 6 months since - quiet as a mouse and runs great. Very happy with dealer response and the work done. Central PA.

You’re right about the service being dependent on the dealership.

Getting work done at a Ford dealership (warranty or customer-pay) is like ordering fast food at a drive through restaurant. If you get what you paid for - nothing else, you feel lucky and breathe a sigh of relief.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At least they haven't stolen parts from your vehicles. Yet. My headlights developed haze in a matter of hours. I have marked parts for future identification. I do inspections before leaving after even a oil change.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Expy had cam phaser repair around 47k miles. Have all my service done by dealer where purchased. They gave me a Ford loaner vehicle. Turn around time was 2.5 weeks. All is well.