Decisions (GM vs Ford)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tampa Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2018 Tahoe and Expedition. The expedition has more room, and overall a better car. But the gm infotainment system and driver feedback from the screens is leap years ahead of fords. The expedition system still fills like a truck not an suv. The one on my explorer was better than the expedition when providing driver information.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a 2018 Tahoe and Expedition. The expedition has more room, and overall a better car. But the gm infotainment system and driver feedback from the screens is leap years ahead of fords. The expedition system still fills like a truck not an suv. The one on my explorer was better than the expedition when providing driver information.

What year Expedition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy C

Reaction score
Well, in the market to replace our ageing minivans that hauled family of 5 (3 boys). This past weekend for the first time everyone went on a test drive journey. QX80 (wife's wish list), Expy, Suburban/Yukon, Seq.

Since we already knew all those vehicles drive very nicely, practicality and comfort was the most important thing for use. We put our oldest (13 at 5'11") in the back seat for comfort. Expy won in the category by far. Even without 2nd row adjustments, it had the most leg room out of all 3 vehicles. One of my 3 boys will be always in the 3rd row, especially on a long trip, so we wanted to make sure. Also, Expy's 3rd row reclines the most, adding more to the comfort. One touch power folding 2nd and 3rd row is a bonus...and 3rd row even has built in safety feature that it reverses if something is left on a chair (my youngest got stuck but it worked like a charm).

It definitely drives rougher than our minivan, but Expy offers the most for the large sum of money. Engine v6 TT vs v8...they are about the same...both has issues, Transmission, well, Ford and GM engineers worked on it together (hard to believe they actually made it to production as I have friends in both Ford and GM). They are all awesome vehicles. But if I am going to spend 70K or so amount of money, I want to make sure everyone will be comfortable, including those times we have to haul out of town guests.

We are looking for Limited Max 4x4 with 302A and bench, and it is not easy to find. I guess everyone wants bench, as those are more readily available. Hopefully will find one before end of the year, as deals are getting better (Ford offering Rebate + 0% financing now). We don't want captains chair for our family's needs, but that's something we can live with.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, in the market to replace our ageing minivans that hauled family of 5 (3 boys). This past weekend for the first time everyone went on a test drive journey. QX80 (wife's wish list), Expy, Suburban/Yukon, Seq.

Since we already knew all those vehicles drive very nicely, practicality and comfort was the most important thing for use. We put our oldest (13 at 5'11") in the back seat for comfort. Expy won in the category by far. Even without 2nd row adjustments, it had the most leg room out of all 3 vehicles. One of my 3 boys will be always in the 3rd row, especially on a long trip, so we wanted to make sure. Also, Expy's 3rd row reclines the most, adding more to the comfort. One touch power folding 2nd and 3rd row is a bonus...and 3rd row even has built in safety feature that it reverses if something is left on a chair (my youngest got stuck but it worked like a charm).

It definitely drives rougher than our minivan, but Expy offers the most for the large sum of money. Engine v6 TT vs v8...they are about the same...both has issues, Transmission, well, Ford and GM engineers worked on it together (hard to believe they actually made it to production as I have friends in both Ford and GM). They are all awesome vehicles. But if I am going to spend 70K or so amount of money, I want to make sure everyone will be comfortable, including those times we have to haul out of town guests.

We are looking for Limited Max 4x4 with 302A and bench, and it is not easy to find. I guess everyone wants bench, as those are more readily available. Hopefully will find one before end of the year, as deals are getting better (Ford offering Rebate + 0% financing now). We don't want captains chair for our family's needs, but that's something we can live with.

Ford took the lead on development of the 10speed, rear drive and Gm took lead on the 9speed, front drive. It's sort of been reported badly, they codeveloped TWO tranny's at same time, however it was more each independently developed the respective units, and share the fruits of that development.

I don't understand the comment about 2nd row not being adjustable? Mine is, and I have the cloth xlt.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you test drive the expy w CCD or one without it? Was the expy your fav to drive, or did you like driving one of the other suvs? How come your not looking for another minivan? Which minivan did you come from?

I think he meant without moving the 2nd row seat, it still had more than enough room as compared to the others he driven.

Andy C

Reaction score
Did you test drive the expy w CCD or one without it? Was the expy your fav to drive, or did you like driving one of the other suvs? How come your not looking for another minivan? Which minivan did you come from?

I think he meant without moving the 2nd row seat, it still had more than enough room as compared to the others he driven.

We have 2 minivans and served our family well (and continue to do so)...coming from Odyssey, and I did convert a lot of new parents into minivan drivers. I think my wife is out on minivans now after driving older unit for over 13 years.

We test drove the Limited with 302A package, so it had CCD. Well, wife did. She liked it alot. Initial drive, she felt that the vehicle was very wide, but after test driving GM/Infinity/Toyota, it didn't bother her that much...she even made comment that minivan felt very narrow. LOL Wife was very hesitant about expedition, wanted the QX80, but she was quiet surprised about how it drove, how everyone can fit in with room to spare, etc. With 360 camera, she was even able to reverse park into a spot at a very busy dealership parking lot (nice). So, at the end, Expy was the favorite. Just need to locate one now...and will be sending out email to dealerships on exact model we are looking for...will see what comes back. We have at least until end of the year to get one.

Yes, 2nd row comment is exactly what I meant. At factory setting, 3rd row was much more comfortable than comparable vehicles.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have 2 minivans and served our family well (and continue to do so)...coming from Odyssey, and I did convert a lot of new parents into minivan drivers. I think my wife is out on minivans now after driving older unit for over 13 years.

We test drove the Limited with 302A package, so it had CCD. Well, wife did. She liked it alot. Initial drive, she felt that the vehicle was very wide, but after test driving GM/Infinity/Toyota, it didn't bother her that much...she even made comment that minivan felt very narrow. LOL Wife was very hesitant about expedition, wanted the QX80, but she was quiet surprised about how it drove, how everyone can fit in with room to spare, etc. With 360 camera, she was even able to reverse park into a spot at a very busy dealership parking lot (nice). So, at the end, Expy was the favorite. Just need to locate one now...and will be sending out email to dealerships on exact model we are looking for...will see what comes back. We have at least until end of the year to get one.

Yes, 2nd row comment is exactly what I meant. At factory setting, 3rd row was much more comfortable than comparable vehicles.

I never looked any higher than an XLT, though I did compare the max vs the standard wheelbase. My second row seats move forward and back, plus have a bit of recline to them, unfortunately not flat like my '14 Odyssey. Even my 3rd row has a bit of recline via the buttons just over the 3rd row occupants' shoulder, on both left and right sides.

Andy C

Reaction score
I never looked any higher than an XLT, though I did compare the max vs the standard wheelbase. My second row seats move forward and back, plus have a bit of recline to them, unfortunately not flat like my '14 Odyssey. Even my 3rd row has a bit of recline via the buttons just over the 3rd row occupants' shoulder, on both left and right sides.
Odysseys are nice vans. I belong in their forum as well...I still love to drive it everywhere. And when we are shopping, Odyssey set the high bar when it comes to comfort and cargo space all together. I just need to train my boys not to swing their doors out, when they are getting out. 1st world problem...

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Odysseys are nice vans. I belong in their forum as well...I still love to drive it everywhere. And when we are shopping, Odyssey set the high bar when it comes to comfort and cargo space all together. I just need to train my boys not to swing their doors out, when they are getting out. 1st world problem...

So does that mean, you have a first gen Ody? Subsequently they were sliding side doors?