Definition of Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whoever wrote that law was pretty lame and just stole the word from GM which really means nothing as to types of vehicles. They should have used SUV instead.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whoever wrote that law was pretty lame and just stole the word from GM which really means nothing as to types of vehicles. They should have used SUV instead.

SUV seems like it's such a broad term nowadays. Although I guess CUV is also a thing, but I don't see it used all that often.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SUV seems like it's such a broad term nowadays. Although I guess CUV is also a thing, but I don't see it used all that often.
Yes. It is kind of an all-encompassing term but the people that decided to use Suburban for vehicle type apparently weren't aware of the definition of suburban or suburb. They have allowed the long-standing name of a GM product to take on a meaning that it never meant.
Wonder what GM was thinking when they named the vehicle? Was it that it was so big that was as big as a suburb of a town? Or was it the thought of commuting from the suburb to the town and being able to transport everything you need with you and having lots of room maybe for people?
Kind of reminds me of Town & Country.
I guess those people that named it would also call a tissue a Kleenex. We all pretty much know what they mean and I would expect a state organization to be more accurate.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Suburbs were just starting to materialize in the 20's and 30's. It's funny how a brand name turns into a product type name. Fridgeadare comes to mind. When I was growing up, my mom would yell at me or my brothers or sisters, to close the Fridgeadare. It was actually a GE refrigerator. Sorry for the misprint of the title. It was supposed to say, Definition of Suburban. I guess New York and other states used that description, because GM was the only one at the time that made a panel van with seats.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
Its just a word. Words can have multiple meanings, usually do. I feel better knowing this and not feeling the stain of GM on my TRUCK. Although my first trUCK was a 67 Chevy Van. Will never forget.
It was frequently rockin after the bar closed at 2am. I had it spray foam insulated so all you needed was a couple people to keep it warm.

The term "station wagon" dates back to horse drawn days when a wagon would pick people up from the train station.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I almost bought a 67 Chevy van myself. Living at home, what guy didn't want a ******* wagon back in the 70's. Shag carpets, and a rocking stereo. A young man's dream car! A lot sexier than a Prius today.

Plati

Reaction score
I almost bought a 67 Chevy van myself. Living at home, what guy didn't want a ******* wagon back in the 70's. Shag carpets, and a rocking stereo. A young man's dream car! A lot sexier than a Prius today.

Legendary Chevy 283. Changed out the engine one time. Raised entire van up on cement blocks, lowered engine onto pallet truck and rolled old one out and new one in under side doors.

The steering wheel would rotate like 1/8 of a turn before anything happened with wheels.

It didn't have electric windows or heated seats. How could I have survived that!

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can still see those Chevy vans and VW vans going down the road maxed out with plywood and shag and bubble or sliding/pop out windows. Can anyone confirm that the cam for the 283 was made in Germany and was the cam to have if you were doing a rebuild? Just wondering...

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe your thinking of early Zora Arkus Duntov parts. He was known as the father of the Corvette. He actually was from Belgium. He designed camshafts, cylinder heads, and intake manifolds. One of his biggest items were Ardun cylinder heads, they breathed extremely well, and we're a high horsepower item. Thank God Chevrolet scooped him up, or we'd never have had the Corvette. GM was going to pull the plug in 1954, but the high performance 265 small block replaced the stove bolt 150 hp 6 cylinder, for the 1955 year. Hard to imagine today, but it was almost squashed. Can you think, it almost went the way of the Edsel!