Definition of Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The New York law definition goes back to the 1920's. New York calls station wagons and some SUV's "suburbans". Two door SUV's like Broncos are usually referenced as "Utilities".

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The New York law definition goes back to the 1920's. New York calls station wagons and some SUV's "suburbans". Two door SUV's like Broncos are usually referenced as "Utilities".

So the definition in the law is older than the chevy suburban?? Can we confirm this 100%?

I think the term suburban might have been used for some other autos or auto description like town and country has been.
All those funny names. Econoline, country squire, club wagon...didn't they go back and forth a lot.
A van was a club wagon when they had a station wagon that would been more appropriate.
Vans were something else too I think.

Plati

Reaction score
Chevy Suburban first model year was 1935. Kind of resembles an Expy!

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe your thinking of early Zora Arkus Duntov parts. He was known as the father of the Corvette. He actually was from Belgium. He designed camshafts, cylinder heads, and intake manifolds. One of his biggest items were Ardun cylinder heads, they breathed extremely well, and we're a high horsepower item. Thank God Chevrolet scooped him up, or we'd never have had the Corvette. GM was going to pull the plug in 1954, but the high performance 265 small block replaced the stove bolt 150 hp 6 cylinder, for the 1955 year. Hard to imagine today, but it was almost squashed. Can you think, it almost went the way of the Edsel!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Yea that’s the man I was thinking of, just couldn’t remember his name. The 283 cam was a big deal if you were rebuilding small block Chevy engines back then. There are people out there that are still looking for the Chevy 302 small block engine to put in their rebuilds.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
An Expedition is a truck based, body on frame, similar dimensions to a F150. I have a hard time saying its an SUV, like a Rav 4 or Nissan Rouge. Those are more like unibody cars.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To me, they should just call it what I call it, my BFT and we all know what it means or "my safe place"... MSP for those of a more submissive nature.

67 Chevy Van

I like how all us older gents instantly remembered Linda, Karen Debbie or Mary in that van.....yup, we either had a van fitted like a bedroom or one of our friends did. Our friend, well, we never really knew his real name, we always called him Space Cowboy.....different time back then when a chic would be good-to-go and there were no worries about her suing you later, nor did you both need to open the condom together to get it to open(yes, it's a thing )<LOL>!!!

jeff

Plati

Reaction score
I used my van , occasionally ... As a transport vehicle for my friends band's equipment. Lots of people were in a band back then ... Don't think young'uns do that as much now do they? Anyway , sometimes we would leave these huge speakers in there and I would drive them off the 8 track player. The ultimate kickass sound system of the day.

Used to go camping up in Thousand Islands and fishing. One time it rained all weekend but we put my van next to an Econoline side by side with side doors flung wide open on both and a tarp bridging in between and we had and instant party palace. High and dry.

Plati

Reaction score
A lot of this stuff goes waaaay back. The VW bug's main creators were Adolf ****** and Ferdinand Porsche.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, the good old people's car. Great little car trudging through German snow. Horrible heater though. Back in the 40's though, just having a heater was an option. Hard to imagine these days, but all cars and trucks had a delete option for a heater here in the U.S. Cant believe someone in a cold climate would opt for no heat because of a $10.00-$20.00 bump.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk