Destroyed flex pipe on my exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a freak accident happen when loading up my expedition onto a trailer. The trailer was at a slight incline and I didn’t look underneath when my buddy was trying to drive up onto the ramp. Caught the exhaust onto the edge of the trailer. Anyways, here is the result…

CD4CD392-6BD7-4309-BC78-026DF9985855.jpeg
154AECF2-BEBD-4F0E-9287-CD5D1339BC8E.jpeg

I see that there is no OEM flex pipe from Ford, just the entire assembly with the passenger cat. From the looks of it the flex pipe doesn’t appear to be anything special.

I’m thinking a muffler shop can cut out the damaged one and weld a new one in correct? Also, can someone tell me the dimensions of this pipe? I found a whole plethora for sale on Amazon etc but they come in all sorts of sizes. Thanks in advance.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.
When I measured mine, the Inside Diameter is 2.75", same as the factory muffler inlet & Outlet ID.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Muffler shop should be able to redo that in about 30 minutes or less.

I'd certainly start there.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS, I used to worry about mine, what with all of the Flexing I put it through everyday.
But after looking at yours, and seeing how it held up = no more worry.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Muffler shops use terribly inferior materials compared to OEM stuff. I don't see an option, but be prepared to replace any muffler shop's carbon steel piping every couple of years at best whereas OEM stainless usually lasts close to 20 years. An ideal solution would be the assembly from a late wreck.

That said, I'd wait until it leaks before doing anything. You may get ten years out of it.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Muffler shops use terribly inferior materials compared to OEM stuff. I don't see an option, but be prepared to replace any muffler shop's carbon steel piping every couple of years at best whereas OEM stainless usually lasts close to 20 years. An ideal solution would be the assembly from a late wreck.

That said, I'd wait until it leaks before doing anything. You may get ten years out of it.
I'm not sure I totally agree with this statement. I have a local exhaust shop that's been around for 30+ years, has done half a dozen exhausts for me, in which every single time they've only used stainless products. And you say inferior parts? How many folks have found piles of steel wool flying out of their factory mufflers? This exhaust pro has said he's replaced hundreds of factory mufflers on F150's with the EcoBoost every year. Heck, the last time I was there, he had one in the shop getting a new muffler. Now are there some crappy ones out there, sure. What's even funnier, is that many dealers sublet exhaust work anyways with or without OEM parts, regardless of mfr.