Differential question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Experiencing the first rains since I purchased the truck, my (2010 "SSV" with 4WD) is having a hard time getting up my slippery dirt road in the rain. I recently almost got stuck in 4 Low.
I am running the stock tire size 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler All terrain Adventure (cop tires.)

My understanding is I should turn off the traction control when stuck, since it is applying the brakes, which makes it more difficult to get unstuck. I also believe both differentials (front and rear) are "open" and rely on the traction control / stability control system to prevent wheelspin in less drastic situations.

My primary questions are
1. Are both differentials in fact "open"?
2. If yes, is there a junkyard swap part (from pickup or other trim level Expedition) that has a limited slip differential?
3. I am looking at purchasing a TrueTrac limited slip unit (Torsen-like )for my truck's rear differential. Anybody have experience with this part?

FWIW, my diffs are 3.73:1 ratio.

Finally, my other truck has no prob getting up the road, but it has 37x12.5 inch tires with 4wd and Torsen differentials front and rear.

View attachment 33342

Eddie bauer Owner: "If you don't have the right tread design, (All terrain tires are for: city; mountain surfaces; highway)! It also depends how much u throttle u use also! My tires are: P265/70R17's! But i also looked at the lb range of each corner: ( "as instructed by the drivers door oem sticker" ) i got close to the stickers number; then i looked for tires! Mine are: Atturo's to also prevent hydroplaining in mud; snow; water! [ It don't matter your chassis descriptions ]

Reaction score
Many choices for many conditions. My son took 1st place with his old Bronco running Ko2's mud bogging. Only 2 ft mud class with 33's on. I pull thru 12-18 inch snow in f250 on ranch every winter and stuck it twice that I remember. Most importantly is they handle all our gravel and rock roads. No flats ever. In our choice of lifestyle these have proven better than expected. Now with slippery dirt road with grade and no 2 to 8 inch ruts to claw up I say good luck.

Eddie bauer owner: to run through the rut's: choose a tall side walled tire! My Expedition has a self leveling air ride chassis ( front's: air shocks/rear: gas & coil spring integrated rubber air bag's)

Derp

Reaction score
Many choices for many conditions. My son took 1st place with his old Bronco running Ko2's mud bogging. Only 2 ft mud class with 33's on. I pull thru 12-18 inch snow in f250 on ranch every winter and stuck it twice that I remember. Most importantly is they handle all our gravel and rock roads. No flats ever. In our choice of lifestyle these have proven better than expected. Now with slippery dirt road with grade and no 2 to 8 inch ruts to claw up I say good luck.

If it works for you and your conditions, that's all that matters! Our mud and snow might be a bit different since everyone around here seems to have the same complaints. The tread cakes with mud in the most trivial wet patch and turns into a slick. We have pretty greasy and clay filled dirt, on grade... so there's that ;)

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My Expedition has made through many Buffalo winters. I only have to use 4L, when my driveway is plowed in and full of snow over a foot deep. Most of the time the A4wd is enough. A little bit of mud and slop should not be a problem. I have Goodyear Wranglers RT/S M+S(mud and snow). I am pretty sure no Expeditions, have a posi or limited slip. I just did my rear axle seals and the 3.73 Diff is open. I would make sure your 4x4 is working correctly. Stop at the bottom of driveway, engage 4x4, then try it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some '16s and '17s do, not sure about the '18+

Limited slip was available on 03-06 and select 16-17 trucks. It’s not really as needed like the days before their AdvanceTrac system with brake modulation assist. I believe the 18+ is either open or with locker function if optioned.

Last edited:

Congage

Reaction score
I so enjoy reading so many different opinions with all the conditions that make life interesting. We really dont think much about the vehicles in climates that are nice year round. Except when looking to add to fleet. Enjoy.

2010ELExpy4x4

Reaction score
Leave the traction control on in four high (I believe it gets turned off in 4 low), it applies the the brakes to the slipping wheels.
I experience it just this week, it had recently rained in the desert. I tried to climb a sandy muddy hill with off set large divots, first tried four high traction control off, as soon as two of the wheels fell into the divots traction was lost as those wheels spun and the planted wheels did next to nothing. Turned the traction control on she grunted right up that hill like it wasn't there.

Airmedic

Reaction score
My 2014 EL has factory limited slip. Not sure if it was part of a package or not.

General Grabber ATs are similar to the popular BFG All-terrains but less expensive and have excellent Treadwear, All season grip (snowflake rated) and very quiet. I have them on my rock crawler/street driven wrangler and every SUV I’ve owned for the last many years. Love them.

I also have installed the truetrac, first one in 1998. Had it in 5 vehicles, street racer to off-roader. THE BEST all around traction device. No special fluid, no clutches, amazing traction. Even used it in the rear of my wrangler with a selectable locker up front.
Fairly easy to install if you are not changing gear ratios too. The shims required are due to variances in the axle housing, the carriers are machined and have tight tolerances. So replacing the carrier with the truetrac rarely will require any change in shims, just keep track of them and check backlash before and after to confirm.

Im planning to install a truetrac in the front diff.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tires are really dirty on the truck, but it didn't throw the mud up onto the truck sides. If front wheels were driving seems like it would throw mud everywhere.