Do you trust your first gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

proftomda

Reaction score
My opinion as a original owner 2001 4.6 with 250,000 miles on it. Assuming the vehicle hasnt been previously wrecked, I think dependability rests on 2 things location and preventive maintenance. Living in the southeast, we tend to put many miles on our vehicles but they are not subjected to the horrors of road salt that destroys structural,electrical and mechanical aspects of a vehicle. My 2001 doesnt have a speck of rust on it and still running the original exhaust for instance. Preventive maintenance wise, ball joints, tie rods, shocks, spark plugs, coil packs, brakes, coolant flush every 20,000, trans flush every 100,000, oil every 5000, PCV valve and hoses and 1 fuel pump. Still running original radiator, water pump and air conditioning. Not bad for 19 years old. I consider the gen 1 Expo simpler and therefore more reliable than a gen 2. 139K is just getting broken in.

TheFlyingFord

Reaction score
Mine just rolled 310,000 and I trust it fairly well. Only lost a few coils since my mother bought it new in 98. I lost my rear left wheel driving to college a year or so ago, but considering how many times my shipping crate dodge has left me on the side of the road, only one major repair ain't that bad in 20 years of daily driving.

Reading the other responses, it seems the 1st gen is a bit of a mixed bag in terms of reliability, but I agree with the general consensus that if you (and the previous owners) have taken care of it, it'll take care of you.

nycnftm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
97 Eddie Bauer I only use it for short trips in place of a truck. I need either a F-150 with a topper or a van and using the expy instead of those. I take it to the Lincoln dealership for repairs. (Closer than Ford and Ford service were d#cks last time) 160,000 miles I just put on tie rod ends and sway bar links. I won't say how much I paid at the dealership for them because you diy guys will laugh. One day later I got ANOTHER P0141 code. I say whatever the cost of the repair is less than a new one. :)