Does all Expeditions come with the tow attachment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just purchased my first Expedition. It is a newly painted (gray metallic) immaculate 2002 XLT. It has only 65K miles on it, but a friend told me there are many tricks some mechanics do to modify the actual mileage. Does anyone believe that? Also I went to check it thoroughly and found no towing attachment at all, so does all Expeditions come with that as a factory setting? I am a big guy: 6'6" with some 240 lbs. This morning I used a cloth to clean all of the dust accumulated on 3 days but even to my height was very difficult to clean the top, so a guy told me I should step on the step side rails, but I am afraid my weight could damage these, so I rather opened the doors and jumped to the floor and that way I was successful. Also I don't get why Ford decided not to place a opening key on the right frontal door. On my garage having that could make it easier to me to open, than going all around to do it. Last thing: Aren't these made with factory alarm? Hope somebody help me a bit on this. Great truck and I cant stop seeing it...Dang!expeicon.jpg

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
naw youll be fine if you stand on that. my friend who used to be pushing 350 stood on it all the time to get in. nothing bad. just dont jump on it. and yeah i have a hard time being 6 2. even doing the wind shield. and as for tow idk. it seems like mine didnt come factory. but i didnt get mine from the dealer. customs auction. but you could always get one installed. and as for alarm idk if it came with alarm but my friends step dad has one that turns on his anti theft. or something like that.

jayhawk2014

Reaction score
All Expys came with the alarm system standard as far as I know. As for the running boards, if they are factory, they are very solid. They attach to the frame in multiple spots if I remember right. I think the receiver hitch was part of the tow package option, so probably not every Expy came with them. How much did you buy for? Mine was about $6,000 and had 130k miles on it.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine dosent have an alarm. i have one to install though. i think we got mine for 13k with super low miles on it. now theres over 155k miles on it.

OP
OP
ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All Expys came with the alarm system standard as far as I know. As for the running boards, if they are factory, they are very solid. They attach to the frame in multiple spots if I remember right. I think the receiver hitch was part of the tow package option, so probably not every Expy came with them. How much did you buy for? Mine was about $6,000 and had 130k miles on it.

A guy mentioned to me that there are some after market running boards made in Taiwan...so I dunno. I got it for $5,600. Well, this one has no alarm as far as I have checked. Other thing I don't like is the lack of key entry on the right front passenger door.... also the guy said, well, it's best this one doesn't came with the tow attachment, it means it has not towed anything, so the engine should be better.... Well: $5,600 for this 2002 with some 60K I feel it's great.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they they all come with the PATS passive security, but not all come with the actual alarm.

As for the door lock thing, maybe they just assumed since you have the keyless entry, you wouldn't really need it.

OP
OP
ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think they they all come with the PATS passive security, but not all come with the actual alarm.

As for the door lock thing, maybe they just assumed since you have the keyless entry, you wouldn't really need it.

Gracias El Vato....So, what passive security means?... SOrry but this is my first Expe after more than 5 years wanting one....ALSO...last night I discovered a tiny warning light (see attached pic) that seemed at first like a blinking light but actually it had a word I couldn't read because it comes for about 1/16 of a second... What could that be saying? Thanks amigos!
little.jpg

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PATS is the chip in the key. It's the reason the top of the key is bigger than, say, an F250 key of the same year.

Basically, if the module doesn't recognize the key, it won't start. It's not "active" in that it's doesn't sound an alarm, it just stops theft of the vehicle by not letting it start.

As for the blinking light, when does it blink? When the truck is on/off? Key in the ignition? I thought the only one that blinked was the theft light when the truck was off.

OP
OP
ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PATS is the chip in the key. It's the reason the top of the key is bigger than, say, an F250 key of the same year.

Basically, if the module doesn't recognize the key, it won't start. It's not "active" in that it's doesn't sound an alarm, it just stops theft of the vehicle by not letting it start.

As for the blinking light, when does it blink? When the truck is on/off? Key in the ignition? I thought the only one that blinked was the theft light when the truck was off.

Thanks amigo... It does blink always. Right now it's parked on the garage and it blinks about every 2-3 seconds, but for a fraction of a second...As I said before: I was with my eyes glued close but since it blinks so quick, I can not read what it says, but it's located exactly where I placed the red oval pointed with the red arrow.

Boomer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Key on the right door? Just cutting costs. My daughters sorry Toyota has a right side key. AND I am 6'6" 250 and running boards hold fine.

07 El Limited

Last edited: