Does turning up the bass kill the amp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayhawk2014

Reaction score
I have the '01 with the Mach system. I replaced the amp a few months ago because the sub stopped working. Is it possible that my turning up the bass killed the sub or is it the fact that amp was 9 years old?

Rockunlimited2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I thought that was the reason for the amp. It should not die from use. Unless you swaped the sub (Change ohms) or are pusshing the oem sub too far (distorting).

OP
OP
J

jayhawk2014

Reaction score
Ah, let me rephrase. I killed the amp not the sub, the sub worked just fine after I replaced the amp with an identical one. So why would it have failed in the first place? Was it just me turning the volume up to high with the bass set high as well?

audioguy

Reaction score
you can blow your amp if you have the bass up to high especially on the long low frequency notes, the low notes require more power (larger duty cycle) and can cause your amp to overheat. Most of the time the sub goes first though. also if your sub is on its way out it could damage your amp, in some cases the sub will still play but the impedance changes putting more load on your amp. If you keep having problems I would try putting some fans back there or get an aftermarket amp