Don't do this.....LOL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't do this.....LOL I killed my truck...

Well in my quest to find the limits of the new expedition drivetrain setup I found the weak link...... The rear CV axles! This was caused by:
1. Disabling all torque reduction during the shift
2. Having the shift set way too hard
3. 9 Lbs of boost in cold weather

I would never do this on a customer's car, but I just had to see what would give out first the CV joint or the shaft itself.... It is the shaft!

Matt

Attachments

• broken shaft 2 low res.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,472
Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
yea!
see Dick beat his truck
see Dick break his truck
see Dick pay out the a$$ to fix his truck
Don't be a Dick

OP
OP
G

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ouch!......

Actually it was an experiment to see where the weak link was on the rear suspension on the new Expeds..... Now the aftermarket can address this issue since obviously there is a strength issue here for the hopped-up expeds and Ford used this setup on the 03 and up trucks. This can be completely avoided if you don't disable all the torque management Ford put in there for good reason.

Matt

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
6000 # is a lot to be trying to mod
these are people movers their not made to go 0 to 60 in 9sec
or 10 or even 15 seconds so y

OP
OP
G

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well there is a market for high performance SUVs.... obviously Range rover offers a 400 horsepower supercharged model but some of us don't want to pay that pricetag. I personally don't like going from my other vehicles which are extremely powerful to the turd my Exped was stock. I love everything else about it.... the ride, comfort, room, etc but I just couldn't live with the lack of power when I wanted to hit an onramp or pass someone before the car in the other lane had a head-on with me. I'm one of the 2 percent of vehicle owners that keep the aftermarket alive and don't follow the other 98 percent....

Okay off the soapbox now! LOL

Matt

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well their is a breaking point (which you found)to certain parts.
the power your puting to the ground might come back to haunt you someday lets hope it doesn't kill you..
like tires that might not be speed rated.
pole valting a drive shaft.

OP
OP
G

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the incident I modified to the tune to shut off half of the fuel injectors during the shift and softened the shift a bit from where it was so it still has a little bit of oomph over stock during the shift but it is much better on the driveline. It feels only slightly firmer at WOT than stock now.....
Matt

wittom

Reaction score
Originally posted by JUST4FUN
6000 # is a lot to be trying to mod
these are people movers their not made to go 0 to 60 in 9sec
or 10 or even 15 seconds so y

Maybe not "made" to, but can be made to.

My previous vehicle, an '04 Lightning weighed in at about 5500lb, could only haul three people but could haul a$$ quite well. It was made to do that. It would have been a lot to try to mod that to haul more people. The Expy on the other hand has a pretty stout drivetrain (with the 5.4) to begin with and is probably a lot of fun to drive with a bunch of power.

To each his own I guess.

Good research green03. That's why there is an aftermarket.