Door ajar light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Butkie3248

Reaction score
So I posted a couple weeks ago on my light being on, i replaced the driver's side door jamb switch light is still on. Now should i do take every other door apart including lift glass and fifth door and try to jump them to see which one it is or is there a easier solution.

Plati

Reaction score
So I posted a couple weeks ago on my light being on, i replaced the driver's side door jamb switch light is still on. Now should i do take every other door apart including lift glass and fifth door and try to jump them to see which one it is or is there a easier solution.
Hard to tell zactly whats going on with your situation, specially over the internet.

My door ajar warning just started becoming a problem again. To diagnose it ... after it comes on - if I open and close drivers door it stops. This indicates that it probably might be the switch in the drivers door. Switch or sensor anyway. I think you have to take the door apart to get to the offending "thingy".

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a laptop ? Do you have ForScan ? ( It's free .... Forscan.org ) . It's easy. In ForScan go to the dashboard and call up the I.C. module. Click on the door jamb switch PIDs you want to look at ( all of them...). Hit the run arrow in the lower left corner and have someone open each door while you watch ForScan and it's switch response. Pretty simple actually.

https://forscan.org/download.html

Nice ELM 1.5 USB OBD Adapter on Amazon if you need one : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MQ8GHG3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tp0bLQ.jpg

Plati

Reaction score
Do you have a laptop ? Do you have ForScan ? ( It's free .... Forscan.org ) . It's easy. In ForScan go to the dashboard and call up the I.C. module. Click on the door jamb switch PIDs you want to look at ( all of them...). Hit the run arrow in the lower left corner and have someone open each door while you watch ForScan and it's switch response. Pretty simple actually.

https://forscan.org/download.html

Nice ELM 1.5 USB OBD Adapter on Amazon if you need one : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MQ8GHG3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tp0bLQ.jpg
I made the mistake of buying a NON ELM one. It was cheap $20 and OK. Seems like you also want to have one with USB not bluetooth although I'm not sure why. I don't have a portable computer so thats also an issue. One of these days I'll pony up ... buy a portable computer and a good adapter and get the paid version of Forscan (I'm using Torque Lite). At least I'm consistent, I've done EVERYTHING wrong. LOL.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really use Torque for anything unless I'm out on the road and just curious about a CEL, but that's pretty rare. Try ForScan on your phone. It doesn't have the extra gauge displays and all that, but it has better troubleshooting aids.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have this very issue that started today and need to narrow down the switch at fault. I'm pretty certain it's the driver door as its caused issue before but no amount of messing w it while latched makes it go nuts. Just happens at random driving down the road or over railroad tracks. Might even be wiring. It only takes a couple minutes to remove a door panel but I'm all for tech when it's useful. $50 seems like a steal. HPTuners was WAY more for the last car. Kinda wish I hadn't sold that but other shiny things caught my eye and it was just sitting on a shelf.

I was briefly reading about extended license and access to PATS. I have but 1 key for the Navigstor I picked up. Can I use this to program others rather than go to dealer? If so that seals the deal.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have this very issue that started today and need to narrow down the switch at fault. I'm pretty certain it's the driver door as its caused issue before but no amount of messing w it while latched makes it go nuts. Just happens at random driving down the road or over railroad tracks. Might even be wiring. It only takes a couple minutes to remove a door panel but I'm all for tech when it's useful. $50 seems like a steal. HPTuners was WAY more for the last car. Kinda wish I hadn't sold that but other shiny things caught my eye and it was just sitting on a shelf.

I was briefly reading about extended license and access to PATS. I have but 1 key for the Navigstor I picked up. Can I use this to program others rather than go to dealer? If so that seals the deal.

Yes. ForScan will program your PATS to accept any new key as long as its cut and compliant transponder.

Wegner44

Reaction score
My 03 EB had the door ajar/dome light on problem, so thought I'd share what I learned.

After spraying all the latches with wd-40 didn't work, I had to find which switch was causing my problems
and I didn't want to dissasemble all 4 doors. There's another way.

To do this it's helpful to have an assistant but flying solo will work too.
Start the car up and start driving. At 10 mph the dome lights will go off regardless of bad switches.
Once they go off, pull over and put car in park, and open the first suspect door from the inside. If the dome light comes on, the switch is ok. Repeat the process (including driving to 10 mph to dim the domes) until you get to the door that doesn't turn the dome light on. That's your culprit.

I copy and pasted this from a previous post but this is exactly how I figured out my issue.

CaptainKrunch

Reaction score
I just left my car turned off. Waited for the battery save to kill the dome lights and then opened each door until I found a door that didn't turn on the lights. Happened to be the last door, passenger side rear. I had sprayed the hell out of all the latches already with no luck.

Took the door panel off and found the switch going to the latch came apart in pieces. I think there was a spring and and a small metal ball. I just spliced the wires together and called it a day.

CldLk-Tim

Reaction score