Door ajar light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CldLk-Tim

Reaction score
Interior lights staying on when parked. So, yestetday I opened and removed my back liftgate interor molding/Plastic vapor barrier and pulled out both the liftgate lock plug-in and the window lock plug-in giving them both a good spraying of Seafoam Deep Creep (a good Spray Lube) as the hatch was open & pludgins facing downward, the Lube dripped off nicely making a small puddle on the ground. Upon re connect plugins, Lights finally turned OFF.

OP
OP
Butkie3248

Butkie3248

Reaction score
My 03 EB had the door ajar/dome light on problem, so thought I'd share what I learned.

After spraying all the latches with wd-40 didn't work, I had to find which switch was causing my problems
and I didn't want to dissasemble all 4 doors. There's another way.

To do this it's helpful to have an assistant but flying solo will work too.
Start the car up and start driving. At 10 mph the dome lights will go off regardless of bad switches.
Once they go off, pull over and put car in park, and open the first suspect door from the inside. If the dome light comes on, the switch is ok. Repeat the process (including driving to 10 mph to dim the domes) until you get to the door that doesn't turn the dome light on. That's your culprit.

I copy and pasted this from a previous post but this is exactly how I figured out my issue.

I did this and it's still my drivers door after I changed the switch but I think the problem is the grease but I don't think it's the right electrical grease anyway to clean the grease and put different stuff in....

Wegner44

Reaction score
If you have tested all the other doors and have installed a new door switch that should have taken care of it. If you are still having an issue, then it may something else. That would be beyond my amateur mechanical skills. I wish you the best of luck!

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Butkie3248
If you're certain it's the driver's door, and you have replaced the switch, and confirmed it's no other door, your problem may be a chafed wire in the door jamb boot.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Butkie3248

Butkie3248

Reaction score
So I just happened to do the door thing again this morning, drivers door light didn't come on passenger front didn't come on rear passenger light came on and as soon as I did the rear drivers door I hear a chime, so I closed the door and my door ajar light was gone. So now do you guys think that I may have a shaved wire or something going to that door?

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's process of elimination with any Ford door ajar problem.

Spray the offending door(s) with wd40 to free up the latch.
Get frustrated and buy one or all new latch switches.
Open forscan to check sensor states to narrow down the door (often its the driver) or check the cluster if the display tells you which door is open.
Hit with a hammer
Pull open the rubber door jamb boot to find shaved wires.

I'm not saying that is the problem, it's where to check next.

Also, I'm confused, you you say the front two don't trigger any more. Are they disconnected?
My neighbor has an 2003 expedition, and the cluster reports which door is open.

Since there have been lots of back and forth, can you restate what your changes have been?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Butkie3248

Butkie3248

Reaction score
It's process of elimination with any Ford door ajar problem.

Spray the offending door(s) with wd40 to free up the latch.
Get frustrated and buy one or all new latch switches.
Open forscan to check sensor states to narrow down the door (often its the driver) or check the cluster if the display tells you which door is open.
Hit with a hammer
Pull open the rubber door jamb boot to find shaved wires.

I'm not saying that is the problem, it's where to check next.

Also, I'm confused, you you say the front two don't trigger any more. Are they disconnected?
My neighbor has an 2003 expedition, and the cluster reports which door is open.

Since there have been lots of back and forth, can you restate what your changes have been?

Door ajar light has been on 2 weeks ago I changed the drivers door jamb switch light was still on.... then one of the guys here mentioned driving over 10 mph and see what door would make the lights go on I did that and the two front doors didn't make the light go on and the backs did but this morning before I went into work I redid the doors and when I opened the rear drivers door I heard a chime so I closed the door and my door ajar light went off...so I'm thinking I have a shave wire somewhere in that door.... rear drivers door...

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's good to check them all, but start with the one causing the problem.

I have not heard of the drive-over-10mph-cycle.

I don't see how driving over 10 mph makes it different, but I'll bite as Ford does have some strange cycles for other systems.

All fords are different, but I had this problem on my 03 taurus, 98 explorer and 04 town car.

Pulling back the boot is different for different vehicles and even doors. Especially the driver door.

What works for me is to unplug the door harness and remove all the pins, to then remove the rubber sleeve. Some are part of the harnesses and other are just slid onto bare wires.

I would refrain from cutting anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Butkie3248

Butkie3248

Reaction score
And then I just to happen to check the two front doors and they both work