Downhill downshifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlanka

Reaction score
How can I disable this quite annoying feature? I'll be going downhill on a moderate slope at 60 MPH and it it will literally downshift to 2nd to slow the vehicle. Must be a way to disable that?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your truck may be included in Ford's recall problem where the automatic transmission suddenly shifts to a lower gear.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How can I disable this quite annoying feature? I'll be going downhill on a moderate slope at 60 MPH and it it will literally downshift to 2nd to slow the vehicle. Must be a way to disable that?

Although I agree with post #2 - it would be helpful if you posted the year, make, model and transmission type of your vehicle.

mreed112

Reaction score
This should only happen when the speed control is engaged. The speed control is doing exactly what it is designed to do -- maintain the vehicle speed at what you instructed it to do. The obvious countermeasure is to pause the speed control until you reach the bottom of the hill.

OP
OP
J

jlanka

Reaction score
It's a 17 and it only happens when cruise control is engaged. So I have to turn off CC every time I go down hill? None of my cars I've ever owned did that before. I don't want to over rev.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have the tow/haul button engaged? Assuming you have tow package. If so, when you tap the breaks, it will try to maintain speed at the break point that you tap the break pedal.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a 17 and it only happens when cruise control is engaged. So I have to turn off CC every time I go down hill? None of my cars I've ever owned did that before. I don't want to over rev.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It won't over Rev, it is controlled by the ECU, and the TCM. I let it do it's job. It works well!

TallT70

Reaction score
I have a 2015, the down shift was startling at first, but I have gotten used to it and it does help when towing.

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i noticed my 08 doing that... a bit disconcerting when it first happened... but it's the cruise maintaining the speed you set...