Drilling a hole in the Intercooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know the intercooler on the 2018 Ford Expedition has been redesigned but is the drainage hole mod still needed. I’ve seen a lot of videos about drilling a 1/16 hole to drain condensation and oil out. I got this new truck and want to do as much to protect it at the front end as possible. Beyond all the Ford made it this way so don’t worry about Post, is this still needed for the 2018s?

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I know the intercooler on the 2018 Ford Expedition has been redesigned but is the drainage hole mod still needed. I’ve seen a lot of videos about drilling a 1/16 hole to drain condensation and oil out. I got this new truck and want to do as much to protect it at the front end as possible. Beyond all the Ford made it this way so don’t worry about Post, is this still needed for the 2018s?

Please do this, on your $80,000 truck. Ever heard of of voiding a warranty? Great way to do that... :facepalm:

OP
OP
S

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a widely known issue on these trucks that the Ecoboost intercooler collects condensation and oil residue beyond what is healthy. I wasn't looking for nasty comments just some insight. It appears to be redesigned but there are a lot of Ecoboost owners doing this due to it causing malfunctions such as misfires and other issues. If the issue has been resolved then just say so, but I haven't seen any discussion yet about the 2018. Of course I don't want to void a warranty but I also don't want to allow build up to occur either.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
This is a widely known issue on these trucks that the Ecoboost intercooler collects condensation and oil residue beyond what is healthy. I wasn't looking for nasty comments just some insight. It appears to be redesigned but there are a lot of Ecoboost owners doing this due to it causing malfunctions such as misfires and other issues. If the issue has been resolved then just say so, but I haven't seen any discussion yet about the 2018. Of course I don't want to void a warranty but I also don't want to allow build up to occur either.
The videos posted were about early models of the ecoboost, f150s as well. And judging by the disgusting nature and condition of the vehicles in a lot of the videos, I’d be willing to bet that these people that are having issues don’t keep them properly maintained.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never heard of this mod before. Do it the clean way and get a catch can. If you drill a hole you may drain some condensation and oil but you’ll also be creating an air leak and you’ll be loosing boost. Plus where is this fluid gonna drain? On your garage floor? Back on the front of the motor while you’re driving?

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Never heard of this mod before. Do it the clean way and get a catch can. If you drill a hole you may drain some condensation and oil but you’ll also be creating an air leak and you’ll be loosing boost. Plus where is this fluid gonna drain? On your garage floor? Back on the front of the motor while you’re driving?
I agree. Video he posted showed it just dripping all over the place under the truck. Take care of your truck with proper scheduled maintenance and you’ll be fine

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I thought the mod, was to the plastic housing. Google damp weather power loss.