Driver Side Seat Trim Panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I, like so many others, had the trim piece break on the driver side seat and used some of the ideas found in another thread on this forum for repair and thought it may be worthwhile to give my experience its own thread. Tip o' the cap to effingpot, Swede252, and Trainmaster, among others.

On my '14 Ltd. there's already a hole on the steel frame that is suitable to anchor the trim piece. Unfortunately I didn't have the proper combination of taps and screws to just simply tap the hole. What I did end up doing, though, is drilling the hole out just large enough to use a 6-32 Short jack nut (also called a riv-nut or rivet nut) and was able to secure it that way then finished it with a black hinged screw cover cap. The plastic seat frame is broken also but I didn't address that issue this time around. Obligatory pics:

Seat_Fix02.JPG Seat_Fix03.JPG Seat_Fix04.JPG Seat_Fix05.JPG Seat_Fix06.JPG

OP
OP
BlueStangGT

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where did you get the screw nut cap?
I found it at Ace Hardware in the specialty fastener section but there should plenty of sources for it. It's called a hinged screw cover, I think from Hillman.
https://www.hillmangroup.com/us/en/...#6,-#8,-#10,-&-1-4"-Diameter-Screws)/p/554SC1

Here's the part number pic and a link to the jack nut from Hillman, also found it at Ace.
https://www.hillmangroup.com/us/en/...uts/Jack-Nuts/Short-Jack-Nut-(#6-32)/p/537JK3

IMG_7604.JPG

I used a 2.50 inch screw which turned out to be longer than I needed but there's plenty of room behind the frame for the extra runout. 2 inch might work, 2.25 inch would've been the best choice, IMO.

Last edited:

Goldnpaw

Reaction score
Nice fix. After my dealer replaced two times, this last time I drilled two holes on the right top of the plastic trim. I then used two black zip ties and cut them off and tucked square holder under seat and panel. Has lasted for over a year, zero issues. 2017 Limited