Driver's window jumps track, breaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cooldog

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I left my driver's door window down, while my daughter unloaded some stuff from the truck. The next day I noticed the window was still open, and went to close it. It refused to go more than 1/4 of the way up, and there were crackling noises when it stopped.

Long story short: after removing the door panel I discovered that the front of the window was out of the track inside the door. I loosened the track mounting bolts and was able to get the glass back into the track. Window has been working properly since then, although eventually I'm going to have to replace the cracked glass.

How the %$#%$^&$%^$ can this even happen?????

Edited to add: the cracking is obviously a direct result of attempting to put the window up when it's not in the front track. My question is how the hell can it jump out of the track in the first place?
IMG_20230705_112328.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cooldog

Reaction score
The end of the story:

It jumped the track again, in exactly the same way, about 10 days ago now. I finally broke down and ordered a replacement from eBay. I'd seen a video suggesting that extra drag in the front track from too much dirt or a lack of lubrication could cause this problem, so did my best to lube the inside of the bottom window tracks where I could reach them inside the door. After installing the replacement window, it was clear that there was still some resistance in the front track at a certain point in the upwards travel. I sprayed some white lithium grease down from the bottom of the window opening along the path of travel and that did the trick. The window operates smoothly now.

Very, very, VERY strange failure!
===============================
Here's that video I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTcvFOTs0QA&t=92s

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The end of the story:

It jumped the track again, in exactly the same way, about 10 days ago now. I finally broke down and ordered a replacement from eBay. I'd seen a video suggesting that extra drag in the front track from too much dirt or a lack of lubrication could cause this problem, so did my best to lube the inside of the bottom window tracks where I could reach them inside the door. After installing the replacement window, it was clear that there was still some resistance in the front track at a certain point in the upwards travel. I sprayed some white lithium grease down from the bottom of the window opening along the path of travel and that did the trick. The window operates smoothly now.

Very, very, VERY strange failure!
===============================
Here's that video I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTcvFOTs0QA&t=92s
I’ve had the assembly destroy itself trying to push the window up on a grime filled track. It’s pretty common actually to have the track cause issues like that. They just manifest in different ways. Yours pushed the glass out, mine couldn’t overcome the friction, my moms car had a piece of twig that stripped the gears, it happens. I am just in the habit of 2-3x a year I blow it out with air and then hit it with lithium grease.