Easy Safe Leveling for Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msin1

Reaction score
I would like a small lift and could use new struts, so I am considering lift struts. Has anyone put the F150 lift bilsteins on a 2nd gen Expo? Any problems/issues?

OP
OP
L

Lifted exped

Reaction score
I would like a small lift and could use new struts, so I am considering lift struts. Has anyone put the F150 lift bilsteins on a 2nd gen Expo? Any problems/issues?

Look at the picture on the first post. these are the F150 lift bilsteins set at 2" lift. NO ISSUES!! The Expedition is level, but if you judge by the wheel openings, it looks "too bulldog" to some. It rides 1000% better lifted then stock. Bilstein doesn't make adjustable shocks for the rear as the F150 has a solid axle and it is lifted by blocks. You can put spacers in the rear, it is the only option if you want some lift in the back.

msin1

Reaction score
Looks good. 2" front and 1" back is probably where I would like to be. With some 275/70R18 tires (~ 33.2"). I have 18" F150 FX4 wheels & tires on now.

Was trying to figure out if front suspension is different between my 2nd gen Expo and your 3rd Generation.

prez1967

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm looking to lift my 2006 sooner or later and since I have 120k+ on my factory shocks/struts, they will need replacing anyway.

While I dont feel warm and fuzzy buying "no name" spacers off of ebay, I will probably buy the ReadyLift spacers and new Bilstein shocks (stock geometry). I'm not worried about the outer limits of suspension travel as I dont plan on offroading much... I understand there may be contact with the springs at full extension.

I was interested in Rancho's quick lift setup for a moment but I've never been a fan of Rancho shocks (from my old Jeep days).

Plenty of ways to skin a cat... with car parts, the opportunity to resell what you dont like and buy something else exists.

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can someone tell me what year f150 shocks/struts etc would fit the 3rd gen expedition? Thanks

OP
OP
L

Lifted exped

Reaction score
Bilstein part number

The Bilstein shock number is in the first post. Along with their data sheet link helping folks understand the different ways of lifting and the possible drawbacks. If you have shocks with more than 75K miles, replacing them with the Bilsteins transforms your ride and handling. With the F150 shock, you can also lift your front end 2" safely and not risk over-extension of your suspension.

Otters07

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at the picture on the first post. these are the F150 lift bilsteins set at 2" lift. NO ISSUES!! The Expedition is level, but if you judge by the wheel openings, it looks "too bulldog" to some. It rides 1000% better lifted then stock. Bilstein doesn't make adjustable shocks for the rear as the F150 has a solid axle and it is lifted by blocks. You can put spacers in the rear, it is the only option if you want some lift in the back.

I have this kit on my 2009 F150...this is fully adjustable from 0-3" of lift. This would work and not necessarily need a rear lift if set just a hair under the rear height. I personally don't like the bulldog stance so anything to keep it level!

F150Lifts.com Adjustable Coilovers 09-13

Also has anyone used the Rancho Quicklift on a 2 wheel drive 3rd Gen? For the money it looks like a great leveling option but again doesn't look like it includes a rear setup so not sure if this would lift the front higher than the back. Also any pros/cons of wheel spacers?

Last edited:

SDExpedition

Reaction score
Necro bump.

Anyone else running these Bilsteins?

If so, does it bottom the shock out before the bump stops, because of the slight length difference of the F150 strut?