Electric Fan clutch not speeding up when Hot ('07),

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazytimme

Reaction score
The electronic controlled fan clutch on my 2007 Expedition wasn't increasing speed when the engine would get hot so i replaced it. According to Torque Pro it would run about 350-450 RPM from Idle through the RPM band.
Engine would only get hot when towing or off roading up a hill going slow, pretty much not enough natural air flow.

I replaced the fan, At start up during initial warm up the new fan will spin 1,000-2,000 (and supper load).
After the engine is warmed a bit it will drop down around 450-550 rpm. I finally took it off roading, and after pulling a long steep hill with defrost on I noticed it had gotten up to 210°, and the fan was still running about 500 rpm.

I dont know if the new fan is bad (it was a cheap aftermarket one, or if for some reason the truck wasn't sending a signal, or if there is an open in the circuit.
No codes at all before or after.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
210° "may" not be hot enough to engage the fan. Not sure what the temp threshold is...

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The electronic controlled fan clutch on my 2007 Expedition wasn't increasing speed when the engine would get hot so i replaced it. According to Torque Pro it would run about 350-450 RPM from Idle through the RPM band.
Engine would only get hot when towing or off roading up a hill going slow, pretty much not enough natural air flow.

I replaced the fan, At start up during initial warm up the new fan will spin 1,000-2,000 (and supper load).
After the engine is warmed a bit it will drop down around 450-550 rpm. I finally took it off roading, and after pulling a long steep hill with defrost on I noticed it had gotten up to 210°, and the fan was still running about 500 rpm.

I dont know if the new fan is bad (it was a cheap aftermarket one, or if for some reason the truck wasn't sending a signal, or if there is an open in the circuit.
No codes at all before or after.
Get it hotter and see what id does. Remove some coolant if you have to.

OP
OP
C

crazytimme

Reaction score
210° "may" not be hot enough to engage the fan. Not sure what the temp threshold is...
Good point, I runs usually around 179-184, and spikes to 192, if it gets to 194+ I take action, A/c(defrost) off, heater on.

Mostly concerned about my Tranny temp and protecting the trans fluid, its to much of a pain and high cost to change to often.

Turning on the heaters pulls it right down, which is fine in the winter, but not OK during the summer.