Engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Hey guys--so I was hoping to get some opinions on my engine ticking noise on my 06 expy. I don't know a whole lot, so the noise may just be normal operation--thats my hope at least. I haven't had the truck for very long and the mechanic at the dealership said it was normal, but with all the history of bad cam phasers I don't want to just take his word for it. I'm going to embed 2 YouTube videos. The first video shows the ticking I hear at idle (I can also hear it very quietly when I'm driving). Second video is me slightly revving my engine at very low rpm in park, because it doesn't sound clean to me, but like I said I don't know much so I'm hoping it's all normal. Not sure how good the audio will come out so u may need to turn up the volume. Let me know what you guys think. Appreciated.
A: B:

Last edited:

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Greg, That sound is consistent with the Cam Phaser issue. Our expys have variable valve timing, there is a lockpin that is in a hole, the hole gets distorted a bit and at idle and initial take off the pin is not locked so you here the rattle. When you take off to drive the lock pin sets and no more noise. I have an 05 with 256k on the clock running strong. I have not heard of any issues with this being a critical event.

One thing you may want to do (I did) is replace the Cam Phaser solenoid (lots of Vids on you tube of procedure) Very easy 20 min job. Hardest part is taking off the cap. I bought Ford OE on Amazon for 58 ea plus 15 for caps.

Second thing you can do is replace Cam Phasers which is something for a DIYer with experience and the correct tools or a professional mechanic as you will be dealing with the timing. But if you go this route then you would probably want to change out the chain and accompaning parts.

Remember on the fixing method depending on the miles on your vehicle you have the New parts vs the tolerances of the old parts on the vehicle and if there will be any effect on them.

One last note keep up on the oil changes.

Good luck and welcome to the forum

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at the solenoid vids and see about changing those. As for the phaser replacement, that's definitely beyond my ability, and to have it fixed would be pretty expensive I imagine. You mentioned that you haven't heard of any critical issues with this event. Does that mean I should be okay just to leave my cam phasers as they are? Id rather do that than fork out $1000+. But if it's going to tear up my engine then that's a different story. What are the risks and benefits of replacing vs. not replacing. My expy is 120k miles btw.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your welcome, Greg I am not a professional but I do know enough to get things done and also get in trouble (I know my limits, plus time is a factor) so I would not want to give you any advise on what work you should get done to your truck. I can just say from my experience and others that you should be ok and should have time to develop your plan. You can do a search on this forum about the Cam Phasers and what people have done and said. I would also recommend searching this form for maintenance and wear and tear replacement items for our trucks. A lot of good info on this forum.

Yes the cost to replace the Phasers can be costly (Mostly labor), I have seen a couple ways that they are done. One is what I would call the proper way which is taking off the entire front, the other is slipping in the Phasers leaving the chain in place, which would probably still be fine.

FYI: You may run across one vid about replacing the Phaser Solenoid (I think from Malook if I spelled correct) where he takes off the valve covers that is not necessary. I and others have post on this forum on hows we performed the Job. Also get the one piece torx bit (DO NOT USE TWO PIECE)

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
You mentioned that with cam phaser issues, the sound stops when you begin to drive but I can hear a distinctive ticking while driving. It's not loud but I can hear it. Does this rule out cam phaser as an issue? Thanks.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gregg the nature of these overhead valve motors they do have a normal mechanical ticking noise, but if sounds more than what you may expect as normal you may want to take it to a mechanic for an evaluation to be sure. I have heard of some expys needing premature valve jobs needed.

To answer the second question regarding the phasers it is a very common scenario.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
300k boy your an Optimus! Most that I've seen on this forum going bad are between 90k and 170k. Greg be 100 percent sure it is your phasers. We've had a few forum members that had a worn camshaft rocker, or valve hydraulic lifter causing the tick. Buy or borrow a stethoscope. Know any friends that are doctors? You can buy one at automotive tool store, or use a long thin screwdriver. Handle up to ear, run along each valve cover. Be sure where your noise is originating. Diagnosis on cars like health issues with humans is everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford