Engine oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racnaa

Reaction score
Is it ok to change from a conventional oil to a full synthetic on the 5.4's? This one is pushing 175000 miles and still stock.

Also what is a good filter that wont allow oil to run back into it when not runnin overnight?

Thanks.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not know any reason you couldnt use full synthetic. Especially with an older engine like that. I would switch to sythetic if i could afford to! I dont know on filters though. Maybe K&N?

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is fine to switch to synthetic and Mobil 1 makes a great high mileage synthetic.

And I would recommend the Napa Platinum filter since the synthetics are designed for longer change intervals. It has the valve in it.

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
K&N or royal purple are both good filters, I saw a cut away of all the different oil filters at a parts store, the expensive mobile ones look well made, and also puralator filters looked well made, I run k&n oil filter on everything i own ( car, truck, tractor, motorcycles, atv etc)

oil is pretty much oil , as long as you go name brand. I buy what ever name brand synthetic that's on sale

Last edited:

02expi

Reaction score
I found out that O'reillys synthetic oil is really Mobile one in O'reillys bottle and it is just 4.99 a qt. I have run the mobile 1 filter and go 15k on changes.:ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
There is no reason you cannot switch to full synthetic. Some had concerns that it could "shrink" rubber seals in high milage engines but this has not been proven. If your engine leaks oil now it will leak with the synthetic and vise versa.

My only concern is synthetic can clean out sludge buildup if any which will be caught by oil filter. You may want to do lower milage oil change intervals for the first few with the full synthetic or use some sort of engine flush before hand. Just my theory so....take it as you may. :)

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I use Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic. It is specifically designed for high mileage engines.

OP
OP
racnaa

racnaa

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I use Mobile one full synthetic in my chevy truck, but always have used conventional in the wifes expy so I was just wonderin. The Expy has had the clattering noise goin on at startup for a couple years now, and I have always used fram filters. Kinda wonderin if they are the culprit now. I was usin fram filters in the truck, and it started doin the clatter thing at startup so I switched to a mobil 1 filter, doesnt do it as loud but still does it. Gonna switch em both to Napa Platinum or Kand N"s

Last edited:

Kevo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i switched from conventional oil to Royal Purple at 196,674 miles and i went from comsuming 1 quart every 3000 miles to less than 1/4 of a quart in the 4000 i have on the royal purple now as for filters i use K&N Gold filters or WIX filters

also about you "clattering" mine did that whem it was cold until i switch to the Royal Purple and that went right away!!

Last edited:

BassinFever

Reaction score
I just changed my 2001 5.4 with 158,000 miles over to 5W-20 Mobil1 Extended Drain with a NAPA Platinum filter, we will see how it goes! Engine had no leaks before and used a quart every 3000 mi.

Last edited: