Expedition - Impressed (tow capacity)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get rear suspension sag like you do. Really wish the Expy had rear load leveling suspension. But I am happy with the engine and it's towing capabilities.

Nice boat. Is your trailer adjustable? I've adjusted several boat trailers. The axles can be moved forward or moved back to put more or less weight on the tongue. If its adjustable, there should be bolts on the frame. There would be predrilled holes in front of them maybe about 6 inches apart. If you decide to move it, buy all new bolts. Launch the boat. Keep trailer hooked up to truck. Remove bolts with a breaker bar. Some may break if too rusted. Then slide axle forward to the hole and put the new bolts on.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice boat. Is your trailer adjustable? I've adjusted several boat trailers. The axles can be moved forward or moved back to put more or less weight on the tongue. If its adjustable, there should be bolts on the frame. There would be predrilled holes in front of them maybe about 6 inches apart. If you decide to move it, buy all new bolts. Launch the boat. Keep trailer hooked up to truck. Remove bolts with a breaker bar. Some may break if too rusted. Then slide axle forward to the hole and put the new bolts on.
THX!

I'll have to look to see if the trailer is adjustable. Thanks for the heads up on adjusting it.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you looked at Sumo Springs? Only thing out (that I can find) that may work for the 18+ Expy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have not heard of them... I'll look at adjusting the trailer first come spring and then if that doesn't work, then I'll look into Sumo Springs. Thank you.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
THX!

I'll have to look to see if the trailer is adjustable. Thanks for the heads up on adjusting it.

Before you start messing with the trailer, pick up (or borrow) one of these: https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Sher...sF3HvfvcFgaFDg0KzrQoTo2Oe4Uzlq4gaAmoJEALw_wcB

It will help a lot when you're playing with the wheel locations on the trailer. I've never had one set up properly from a marina, and have always had to adjust my axle locations to dial in the tongue weight.

And for those that constantly recommend WDHs, just note that on boat trailers nearly every manufacturer recommends against them because of the added stress that they put on the tongue itself, which can actually bend if overtaxed by a WDH.

wingrider

Reaction score
I have a 2012 w/ 82k miles, tow package, full options pretty much. I tow a track car and it all adds to about 7k load. I was thinking about a 2020/21 but now reading that they don't come with load leveling anymore is a concern. I LOVE that feature. Couple that with the smaller tank on the newer ones and this is starting to sound like I keep mine longer.

Suggestions?

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Artie

No way... you will sag like it do. I would like to tell you different. I believe my setup in right around or under 400 lbs T Weight.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Artie

No way... you will sag like it do. I would like to tell you different. I believe my setup in right around or under 400 lbs T Weight.
I’ll never tow just this trailer, I’ll have gear in the back of the vehicle as well. I’ll wait and see how bad it is before making a decision.