Expedition - Impressed (tow capacity)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2012 w/ 82k miles, tow package, full options pretty much. I tow a track car and it all adds to about 7k load. I was thinking about a 2020/21 but now reading that they don't come with load leveling anymore is a concern. I LOVE that feature. Couple that with the smaller tank on the newer ones and this is starting to sound like I keep mine longer.

Suggestions?

I have an 18 max with the tow package. I used to have a car hauler trailer and I hauled some classic cars as well as a couple SUVs and a new wrangler unlimited on it. Using a WDH it had no issues and towed better than any half ton pickup I had before.

Without the WDH it squatted like crazy so it’s a must have with my old setup.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Expy sags with a full tank of gas and full of people. Just the way they are built to give you that plush ride. My Superduty rides like a WWII tank. I hate driving it. But when you put 10K of weight on it the ride is greatly improved. If I can get 7K to ride level I would never drive the Superduty again. Going to try the Sumo spacers. WDH is not for boat trailers. I would also recommend the Weight Safe hitch. I can easily see the tongue weight.
4ba13f5b3b65c72f23fcf819ecfe50fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingrider

Reaction score
I have an 18 max with the tow package. I used to have a car hauler trailer and I hauled some classic cars as well as a couple SUVs and a new wrangler unlimited on it. Using a WDH it had no issues and towed better than any half ton pickup I had before.

I don't have a sag while driving problem w/ my 12. It might sit there and sag for a few minutes as there seems to be a delay before the compressor kicks on, but once the air kicks in, its basically level before I roll out. I had that factory option on my 99 Expy and really like that functionality. Only complaint is the delay once weight gets on the ball.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...Using a WDH it had no issues and towed better than any half ton pickup I had before.

What brand and model?

I have a Weight Safe adjustable that I use with my HPDE car and Uhaul trailer. The squat is a problem.

The Sumo Springs are an interesting option but I don't want the rear to become unstable when unloaded.

Thoughts?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Just because you can tow on flat land, doesn't mean it's safe or legal. You can hook up a small UTV and move a trailer around. Loaded with passengers and cargo, you are overloaded and unsafe. The rear end 'sagging', is a clear indicator something is wrong. Towing at the 'max' will shorten the life of the drivetrain and brakes. You should be towing with power and payload to spare.

dishgawd

Reaction score
The EcoBoost is amazing. I wish they would have put airbags with the CCD shocks on the rear. Just to level the legal load. WDH are awesome, but I shouldn’t need one with a 7K boat with 500lbs tongue weight. But I need something to control the squat. Love the boat. Looks like a ship next to the Expy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can add your own air bags... cheap and easy if you buy the manual air bags. Makes a big difference with the tongue weight plus cargo. Load levellers are also a nice addon.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What brand and model?

I have a Weight Safe adjustable that I use with my HPDE car and Uhaul trailer. The squat is a problem.

The Sumo Springs are an interesting option but I don't want the rear to become unstable when unloaded.

Thoughts?

I sold the whole setup a year ago so I don’t remember the exact model, but it was a Curt short arm trunnion setup.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What brand and model?

Thoughts?

The Sumo Springs just closed-cell foam, so the "spring" rate is progressive as they compress. You don't even really notice they are there when the vehicle is unloaded.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Sumo Springs just closed-cell foam, so the "spring" rate is progressive as they compress. You don't even really notice they are there when the vehicle is unloaded.

If that's the case, they seem like they're probably worth a try.

I'm right at 6030 lbs. with the car and uhaul trailer. If I can find a good deal on an 18' aluminum trailer, that should reduce the weight by at least 500 lbs.

I'm seriously considering a weight distributing hitch. Never heard of one until recently and it looks like a PITA to setup, but worth the time.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If that's the case, they seem like they're probably worth a try.

I'm right at 6030 lbs. with the car and uhaul trailer. If I can find a good deal on an 18' aluminum trailer, that should reduce the weight by at least 500 lbs.

I'm seriously considering a weight distributing hitch. Never heard of one until recently and it looks like a PITA to setup, but worth the time.
6klbs without a weight distribution hitch? I would say you could run into a problem. There are various guides/rules of thumb/old wives tales regarding when one is required, but if your trailer weights as much as the tow vehicle, then you are into the probably in region of a WDH requirement (boat trailers are an general exception because of how the trailer weight is distributed). I have a 4500lb trailer and wouldn't think of running it without a WDH, but the tongue weight is around 15%.

The initial setup can take a while to get right, but it's not hard. Once you are set it only takes a few extra minutes to hook up. Handling is much improved and reduces the occurrence of trailer sway.

EDIT: just noticed you said uhaul trailer. I'm not sure they come with a WDH capability...

Last edited: