Expy for off-roading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stock it’s an eLSD that mimics a locker I believe with a quote “locking mode”. Not exactly a true locker like an aftermarket Truetrac that will reliably get you into overland territory but it can come in handy. TFL look an ‘18 Expy FX4 up goldmine hill and the eLSD lock overheated and shut off a few times on the way up sort of handicapping the truck when it got sideways so it hits its limit in extended off roading. If one was a serious off-roader an aftermarket mechanical lockup may be better. A better stock available unit in this segment would be the mechanical G80 found in the GM.

I believe the 4WD GM triplets all come with a G80 locker, at least my aunts ‘19 Denali has it. Unlike the Ford it’s not selectable and does it’s thing automatically.

Last edited:

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stock it’s an eLSD that mimics a locker I believe with a quote “locking mode”. Not exactly a true locker like an aftermarket Truetrac that will reliably get you into overland territory but it can come in handy. TFL look an ‘18 Expy FX4 up goldmine hill and the eLSD lock overheated and shut off a few times on the way up sort of handicapping the truck when it got sideways so it hits its limit in extended off roading. If one was a serious off-roader an aftermarket mechanical lockup may be better. A better stock available unit in this segment would be the mechanical G80 found in the GM.

I believe the 4WD GM triplets all come with a G80 locker, at least my aunts ‘19 Denali has it. Unlike the Ford it’s not selectable and does it’s thing automatically.

Huh. The manual states that 4L (only available with max towing package) provides ‘electronically locked four-wheel drive power to both front and rear wheels’. Seems different than just a LSD but maybe not?

Last edited:

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe I read recently, that the new FX4 will have locking diffs, lift , tires, skid plates, and I’m sure, a shitload of electronics. Thanks for the likes. I think I’m gonna need to upgrade to those truetracs, I got into a little wash in Mojave, and got 2 tires spinning and digging in the sand, was able to back up and gas it thru. Those truetracs sound nice to have. Do you need to purchase gears separately for those truetracs??? I need to re gear, and getting bigger tires, I have 33 on now, probably gonna do 37-38.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh. The manual states that 4L (only available with max towing package) provides ‘electronically locked four-wheel drive power to both front and rear wheels’. Seems different than just a LSD but maybe not?

My 2007 Expedition EL manual states the same, that just essentially means it’s locked in 4WD (power split 50/50 front and rear):

FFAD3BEC-ECAB-44DE-8E91-0B6C4BF26F11.jpeg

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you posted this, I'm on the road, and was curious about the definitions provided by the owners manual.

I got the same 07 xl

Plati

Reaction score
I'm not claiming to be an expert, but there is a "electronic locking" feature available on some model & years.
Don't know if Expy ever had this, pickup in the video.

I'm pretty sure on Expy's ... 4H & 4L provides continuous power (50/50 I think) to front and back axles (via transfer case). I'm not sure why you shouldnt use it on dry pavement (no wheel slip I guess) but thats the instruction. I always thought it was cornering (left/right wheels have different path length) but now I don't know. Why is 4H & 4L not for dry pavement (all model years)?

Last edited:

Adam Huskins

Reaction score
on my '18 Expedition I believe it has actual electric lockers. It has the HD tow package. There have been a couple of times that the locker button has gotten pushed accidentally and while making a u turn you could definitely feel the outside tire sliding on the pavement. Very odd feeling. Quickly realized it. Turned off the locker and no more skidding.

787d9a027b5b8c9d260d8fbaa5310da1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not claiming to be an expert, but there is a "electronic locking" feature available on some model & years.
Don't know if Expy ever had this, pickup in the video.

I'm pretty sure on Expy's ... 4H & 4L provides continuous power (50/50 I think) to front and back axles (via transfer case). I'm not sure why you shouldnt use it on dry pavement (no wheel slip I guess) but thats the instruction. I always thought it was cornering (left/right wheels have different path length) but now I don't know. Why is 4H & 4L not for dry pavement (all model years)?

When you go to turn the front and rear driveshafts will want to spin at different rates. If you are ever in fresh snow you’ll notice after you turn each tire leave it’s own tracks. In 4H the transfer case is locked so when you go to turn the front and rear cannot spin at different rates so this causes driveline binding to release the pent up force. In snow and mud this simply results in slip so no damage done, on dry asphalt this results in clunking and binding of the drivetrain as one driveshaft wants to spin at a faster rate than the other but cannot.

Last edited: