Extended Warranty Value

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today I bought a 2013 XLT and had some reservations about the purchase due to the lifters and timing chains in these 5.4L 3V. So I went ahead and bought a Continental warranty. The price was $1599 with tax. It is 20 year UNLIMITED mileage. If it is any good I would be crazy not to buy it. It covers the usual power train stuff, the parts in oil. No coverage outside the engine or transmission mechanical's. I see the reviews are spotty on BBB, but I know most folks don't know a camshaft from an alternator. Thoughts?

Just reviews the terms carefully and make sure to abide by all maintenance schedules and keep records of everything.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just reviews the terms carefully and make sure to abide by all maintenance schedules and keep records of everything.
Yeah. I am getting the oil and ATF tested at Blackstone and have the ATF changed as I have no idea the history behind that service. My only concern is that the previous owner seems to be on a 5 K mile interval. My old 2001 4.6L 2V I changed oil every 3 K miles. I know the 5.4L 3V series has potential issues with timing chain and lifters , but will be covered in this warranty. I still think 20 years unlimited miles is too good to be true. If my local certified shop won't work with the warranty, I will take it back to the dealer where I bought it and hand them the problem. I hope when I am 89 I can still be driving this truck.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah. I am getting the oil and ATF tested at Blackstone and have the ATF changed as I have no idea the history behind that service. My only concern is that the previous owner seems to be on a 5 K mile interval. My old 2001 4.6L 2V I changed oil every 3 K miles. I know the 5.4L 3V series has potential issues with timing chain and lifters , but will be covered in this warranty. I still think 20 years unlimited miles is too good to be true. If my local certified shop won't work with the warranty, I will take it back to the dealer where I bought it and hand them the problem. I hope when I am 89 I can still be driving this truck.

There's no harm in a 3k interval on the 5.4L, but I think it's overkill. I even question whether it's really needed on the turbos with the oil dilution. I've been running a 5k interval on my '11 since I got it and am at ~210k miles now. I check the oil constantly though as she likes to burn/leak oil.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's no harm in a 3k interval on the 5.4L, but I think it's overkill. I even question whether it's really needed on the turbos with the oil dilution. I've been running a 5k interval on my '11 since I got it and am at ~210k miles now. I check the oil constantly though as she likes to burn/leak oil.
How is your PCV valve? I just learned from the manual that there is no ATF dipstick (6R80) and the ATF fluid interval is 150K miles? I guess I have much less to worry about.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is your PCV valve? I just learned from the manual that there is no ATF dipstick (6R80) and the ATF fluid interval is 150K miles? I guess I have much less to worry about.

No indications of bad PCV components. I've had the ATF changed twice. I did a full flush/fill/filter at ~100k and then just a drain/fill/filter at probably 150-160k (have the exact mileage in my maintenance log). Trans is still smooth other than that slightly jerky downshift from first to second at stop lights that is inherent to these 3rd gens - and you rarely even get that once you get the feel for the truck.

tacoduck

Reaction score
Today I bought a 2013 XLT and had some reservations about the purchase due to the lifters and timing chains in these 5.4L 3V. So I went ahead and bought a Continental warranty. The price was $1599 with tax. It is 20 year UNLIMITED mileage. If it is any good I would be crazy not to buy it. It covers the usual power train stuff, the parts in oil. No coverage outside the engine or transmission mechanical's. I see the reviews are spotty on BBB, but I know most folks don't know a camshaft from an alternator. Thoughts?
I wouldn’t buy an extended warranty unless it came from ford. Most aftermarket warranties aren’t worth the paper they are printed on.
My truck supposedly comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty from the dealer. I tried to get a repair covered and it’s a 1-800 number to nowhere. Finally got someone and they wanted every service record for the car. I bought it used, so I don’t have records. Claim denied.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy an extended warranty unless it came from ford. Most aftermarket warranties aren’t worth the paper they are printed on.
My truck supposedly comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty from the dealer. I tried to get a repair covered and it’s a 1-800 number to nowhere. Finally got someone and they wanted every service record for the car. I bought it used, so I don’t have records. Claim denied.
What is the warranty company? Go back to the dealer who sold the warranty and demand your money back. Apparently sold under false pretenses.

tacoduck

Reaction score
What is the warranty company? Go back to the dealer who sold the warranty and demand your money back. Apparently sold under false pretenses.
It’s one of those “every used car we sell has a lifetime powrttrain warranty!” Claims that once you read the fine print is BS. They attach it to every vehicle, but it’s just marketing hype.

Shakeandbake

Reaction score
It’s one of those “every used car we sell has a lifetime powrttrain warranty!” Claims that once you read the fine print is BS. They attach it to every vehicle, but it’s just marketing hype.
Actual warranties written by large companies are generally good to go. I am actually going to avoid the Ford one when it’s time… it seems on here, Ford warranty fights the dealers on paying out.

I’ve had Mercedes and BMW extended warranties and I’ve never had any issues with warranties denying or asking techs to do extensive diagnosis, granted I’ve had way too many shop visits in those cars.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have always read those and blown them off because everything they cover is limited to the moving parts running under oil. So its "No ECU for You". But in my case. 5.4L 3V , 6R80 it is the valve train and transmission that concern me and those things are indeed running in oil and pretty much listed as covered.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire