Extended Warranty Value

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just wanted to share our experience with Ford's ESP (extended service plan). Our 2018 Expedition MAX 4x4 Platinum ended its least last year in December. We bought the car out of the lease, and along with it, purchased the extended warranty through Lombard Ford online. PremiumCare is the top-tier extended warranty plan that practically covers everything on the car. We paid about $1600 for the plan, with a $200 deductible.

As a point of reference, the truck went into service last month for a malfunctioning running board motor, and one of the side mirrors lost its heated mirror functionality.

Obviously, not major items by any means, but a nuance nevertheless.

Heated mirror was determined to be faulty and was replaced ($1100). Running board motor was also determined to be faulty and was replaced ($980).

All in all, the extended service plan has paid for itself in less than a year.

Clearly, not everyone's experience will be the same, but as a point of reference, I thought I'd share our experience with anyone considering purchasing it.

-Cheers

ExpyNole

Reaction score
As with anything, it's a risk/reward proposition. You take on the risk that you'll need it for the potential reward of the benefits.
No different than the risk an insurance company takes on.

Ultimately, the value is in peace of mind. You know you're covered should something go wrong, whether or not finances are an issue.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just wanted to share our experience with Ford's ESP (extended service plan). Our 2018 Expedition MAX 4x4 Platinum ended its least last year in December. We bought the car out of the lease, and along with it, purchased the extended warranty through Lombard Ford online. PremiumCare is the top-tier extended warranty plan that practically covers everything on the car. We paid about $1600 for the plan, with a $200 deductible.

As a point of reference, the truck went into service last month for a malfunctioning running board motor, and one of the side mirrors lost its heated mirror functionality.

Heated mirror was determined to be faulty and was replaced ($1100). Running board motor was also determined to be faulty and was replaced ($980).

Clearly, not everyone's experience will be the same, but as a point of reference, I thought I'd share our experience with anyone considering purchasing it.

-Cheers
You only paid $1600? How many miles and years?

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As with anything, it's a risk/reward proposition. You take on the risk that you'll need it for the potential reward of the benefits.
No different than the risk an insurance company takes on.

Ultimately, the value is in peace of mind. You know you're covered should something go wrong, whether or not finances are an issue.

I bought a 6 year/100k mile extended warranty directly from BMW for my car right before my factory warrant expired. I knew I was going to use it because I was tracking the car extensively but I kept the powertrain stock.

Turns out that warranty paid for itself when my transmission shit itself right before 100k miles.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a matter of practice, I turn down extended warranties for just about everything. I jumped at the chance when I bought my truck used though. They wanted $700 to CPO it, which included the same Ford ESP warranty. I checked the truck's tires and knew (based on tread depth) they would have to be replaced as part of the certification process. At the time they cost over $600 installed, so right there I just about got my money's worth. In the 30k miles that followed I had nearly $16k in repairs done at a cost to me of $200. If you can get the extended warranty for under $2k I think it's typically worth it, especially if you have an upper trim level.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You only paid $1600? How many miles and years?
At the time the vehicle had 60,000 miles and was 4 years old. I purchased PremiumCare for another 24 moths / 24,000 miles, along with rental car and lighting covered.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score

-Cheers
Thanks - I actually just got of the phone with a Ford protect sales person and my vehicle is required to have an inspection done by a a ford protect rep before I can get covered under the ESP. Must be because I bought the expy used from a non ford dealer (Audi) and currently has 59,000 miles

Reaction score
Hi,
I purchased the 8 year, 150k option directly from Ford Online, $4,770. It has paid for itself, as my 2018 Expedition Max is pretty much a lemon. On this warranty, I've already had about $7,000 worth of work on the car done between 3 different repairs. And I'm sure I'll get more out of it, as sporadically the car tells me various sensors are failing (turbo, tire pressure, front sensors, adaptive cruise control, etc).

expyykalamazoo

Reaction score
I got the 10-year 100k for only 1600 from Zeigler Ford online. Local dealer to me, but surprisingly had the best deal online for a CPO Expedition. I don't drive a lot... only about 10k/year, so definitely worth it as insurance considering (as you said) the running board motor is $1k.

Actually the running boards were acting up when I first got it, but I lubed all the mechanical friction points and has been good since then. I also had to replace a seatbelt out of pocket as didn't have time for service before a trip and it was a relatively simple replacement.... I imagine more issues will be coming up in the next 10 years. Doesn't seem as solid built as our old LX 570 TBH.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today I bought a 2013 XLT and had some reservations about the purchase due to the lifters and timing chains in these 5.4L 3V. So I went ahead and bought a Continental warranty. The price was $1599 with tax. It is 20 year UNLIMITED mileage. If it is any good I would be crazy not to buy it. It covers the usual power train stuff, the parts in oil. No coverage outside the engine or transmission mechanical's. I see the reviews are spotty on BBB, but I know most folks don't know a camshaft from an alternator. Thoughts?