Fake engine noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Platinum certainly sounds V8-ish from the outside. Muffler seems to be tuned that way. Not sure about other trims.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Platinum certainly sounds V8-ish from the outside. Muffler seems to be tuned that way. Not sure about other trims.
:bs: You don’t tune mufflers... and every expedition has the same type of muffler. Maybe sounds V8 ish on a super cold start. Not when your driving.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
:bs: You don’t tune mufflers... and every expedition has the same type of muffler. Maybe sounds V8 ish on a super cold start. Not when your driving.
2008-2014 Mustang, Ford sampled the 1968 390GT, in the movie Bullitt. The mufflers chosen, supposedly closely, matched that. Ford V8s have a unique sound. GM V8s do have there own sound. V8 Ram pickups, in my opinion, sound the best. I have owned 2 Corvettes, they are quiet. My 2011 Mustang GT(true duals), is not that loud. During testing Ford engineers, noticed it. They added a tube, to pump engine sound into the cabin(google it). My Lincoln has the 4.6l DOHC Intec. It has the single exhaust with 2 mufflers(3 cats). Its smooth and rumble/sound free.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Nope, sounds beefy all the time. I even had a rental Suburban recently, and its muffler is tuned much too quiet for my taste. I much prefer my Platinum. Noticed the same sound on Navigators.

And yes, you most certainly tune a muffler. Different resonators cancel out different frequencies, and they use flanges (similar to those in a whistle) to enhance various frequencies.

Acoustics my man. Acoustics. It's science.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, sounds beefy all the time. I even had a rental Suburban recently, and its muffler is tuned much too quiet for my taste. I much prefer my Platinum. Noticed the same sound on Navigators.

And yes, you most certainly tune a muffler. Different resonators cancel out different frequencies, and they use flanges (similar to those in a whistle) to enhance various frequencies.

Acoustics my man. Acoustics. It's science.
A muffler is manufactured, not tuned. An ECU is tuned. All the mufflers are the same on the expeditions, there are no interior differences. So every 2018 and 2019 expedition sounds the same. They don’t put different style mufflers on different trim levels. Why don’t you give us a video and let’s see how “beefy” your stock exhaust sounds and we can compare it to another one with an aftermarket exhaust. I’d love to prove you wrong

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A muffler is manufactured, not tuned. An ECU is tuned. All the mufflers are the same on the expeditions, there are no interior differences. So every 2018 and 2019 expedition sounds the same. They don’t put different style mufflers on different trim levels. Why don’t you give us a video and let’s see how “beefy” your stock exhaust sounds and we can compare it to another one with an aftermarket exhaust. I’d love to prove you wrong

The forum is a place to exchange ideas, and the goal is not to "prove you wrong." Everyone is always going to have a different opinion on issues like exhaust sound, so pretty hard to "prove" someone's opinion is wrong. It's all personal preference.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The forum is a place to exchange ideas, and the goal is not to "prove you wrong." Everyone is always going to have a different opinion on issues like exhaust sound, so pretty hard to "prove" someone's opinion is wrong. It's all personal preference.
:facepalm:

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Post videos on the internet to prove some stranger wrong?

I mean, what are you, 14 years old?

Sounds beefy to me. I could care less what you think. Move on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire