Fed up with front end work still has clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bowman1268

Reaction score
Funny you guys say front u joints.I was just thinking that is one of the only things I have not checked.Today it would creak/clunk only when accelerating from a stop while going straight sometimes while making a slight turn but only if moving.I got pissed so at about 20 mph I yanked the wheel back and forth to try and get it to make the noise and sure enough it kinda did.So I get home get out and rock the truck for all I'm worth and no darn noise at all while parked.So I am thinking either it is something that is a moving only while in motion.We are having storms today but as soon as I can I will be under it again.As a side note it appears to get worse when it is wet out.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you guys say front u joints.I was just thinking that is one of the only things I have not checked.Today it would creak/clunk only when accelerating from a stop while going straight sometimes while making a slight turn but only if moving.I got pissed so at about 20 mph I yanked the wheel back and forth to try and get it to make the noise and sure enough it kinda did.So I get home get out and rock the truck for all I'm worth and no darn noise at all while parked.So I am thinking either it is something that is a moving only while in motion.We are having storms today but as soon as I can I will be under it again.As a side note it appears to get worse when it is wet out.

Honestly, I think I have the same problem... I mean I need to replace a laundry list of other crucial steering and suspension components but I think I have that issue too and I think it is the u joints... I've never replaced them before though kind of a big operation for me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually a u joint will have movement when you move it with your hands. You've gone this far. A vise,a new set of joints, and you eliminate that from your frustration. The parts are cheap enough. It's just a little more of your time. The other thing you can do before is find a friend or shop that has the snap-on diagnostic unit that mounts in different spots under vehicle. The technician can then drive your SUV and pinpoint where noise is coming from. Keep us posted.

Msport

Reaction score
I had a similar noise when I turned left and right. I added motorcraft friction modifier to the differential fluid and the noise went away. The additive reduces wear in the clutch packs.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to hear! I'm going to try that on my 2000 4x4 see what it does. Mine clicks when pulling in turning full right!

OP
OP
B

bowman1268

Reaction score
Yhea I am not giving up on this yet.I ordered a drivers cv joint and new universal joints as the next set of parts to replace.Reason for the cv is while under it yesterday I grabbed the halfshaft and noticed the new passenger side one moves in and out freely while the factory one on the drivers won't budge even with channel locks on it.From what reading I have done the inner cv should allow some in and out movement to allow suspen travel.