Ford, Are you Listening? 2018+ Change/Wish List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all love the 2018+ redesign, its better in most every way (IMO) and more importantly, most professional auto reviewers are very impressed with the new Expy/Navi, so impressed that they are giving the edge to Ford in the never ending Ford Expedition/Navigator vs. GM Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade race. What a great win for Ford!

The list of positives is long: great looks, great ride, great comfort, great features….but this thread is about the things we wish Ford would do differently, and who knows maybe they will listen and make some changes in the coming years. I personally like 99% of everything in the new Expedition/Navigator, but there is that 1% that I wish could be improved.

I just spent two weeks and 2,000 miles with a beautiful 2018 Expedition. Overall, I LOVED it. But below are my issues and “change requests” to Ford.

What are your wish/change requests to Ford? Here's mine:
  1. Fix the rear seat entertainment system. The software is clunky, slow, and almost unusable.
  2. Third row, driver's side seat, seatbelt harness that descends from ceiling is made of hard plastic and is way too close to a person's head. God forbid one is ever in an accident, or even if one has to make a sudden lane change…your head would smack against hard plastic that is protruding from the ceiling. Ford, please just wrap that thing in some soft touch material.
  3. Heated seats and heated steering wheel: don’t get hot enough, and heated steering wheel feels like it cycles heat- gets warm for 30 seconds, then cools for 3 minutes, then warm again for 30 seconds…instead of a steady warm heat. (i know, first world problems, but I'm comparing this to GM's)
  4. Second row captains seats (and maybe bench too) are perforated, which is nice for adults, but horrible to keep clean with kids. Try cleaning a smashed banana or ******* out of those tiny little holes. [emoji4] Ford, please provide the option of non-perforated captains seats.
  5. I almost don't want to mention this because its too hard to change and maybe I just needed to get used to it: The doors have a very large (2 inches) horizontal lip at the bottom that basically just sticks out towards the inside of the door. It's for a wrap around style that looks great when the door is closed. However, on the first day we had the vehicle, both I and my wife separately smacked our legs hard into this protruding lip as we were getting into the vehicle. I actually got a huge welt from it that is still healing after 3 weeks- ouch. You just don't expect to have to swing one's leg so far away from the door when getting in. With other cars you can kind of swing your leg right up next to the door, but with the Expy you have to give it room. Maybe we just needed to get used to this unique design "feature", which I think we did as it only happened on the first day.

Last edited:

michguy

Reaction score
Can I add to the list:

The lack of a locking function for the gas tank. It is mind-blowing that with the price of many of these vehicles now exceeding 70K, that the gas tank "door" doesn't lock when the vehicle is locked.

Add to that inadequate customer support. I tried and failed to get information from Ford regarding the new 4WD system in the 18"s. You're expected to get such info from the dealer. I called three dealers and none were able to answer my questions. Additionally, when I have had problems with my Ford vehicles I have been much less satisfied with the support offered in comparison with other manufacturers. In general I have liked my Expeditions. I just wish they would back up the product a bit better.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sun roof - Make it optional on all Models. I have 2 sons over 6 foot tall, and they both hit their head on the ceiling in the 18 Expeditions with sunroofs. Which means I can't buy a Platinum or a Limited, since it seems sunroofs are standard. On the 17 and older, the sunroof only affected the headroom of the driver and passenger, the second row had an indentation in the roof for second row passengers. That headroom is missing in the second row on the 18's.

Running boards - I live on a gravel road, and I want the running boards to keep the gravel and mud from flying up and chipping the paint on doors. Again all the Platinum and Limited have those stupid ass power running boards that are completely worthless. Standard running boards should be optional on all models.

And since I am now forced to buy a XLT because of the 2 above issues, why can't you have the upgraded stereo as an option on the XLT?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get a ltd 300a, it doesnt have the moonroof. You can get that pkg and option the drivers assist pkg and nav separate.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ltd 300a still forces you to get the power running boards......so still a no go for me

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ha e you had the power running boarss on a vehicle. Me and my wife loves em. The std running brds are too high to be useful. The power running boards atleast tuck away and the bottom is tolted to prevent side damage. If your an offroader i can understand not having em, but they are amazing esp with the 18s because they dnt jutt out as far as the previous gens did and its more step height as well.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am 6 foot 6, so I have no need to use the running board as a step to get into the vehicle....so I have never used them for that purpose. My whole family is tall, so no one uses the running board to get into the vehicle.....

But a real running board sure does keep the sides of your vehicle cleaner...especially on gravel roads, and salt/sand covered winter roads. Here in Iowa all the Expeditions with the power running boards have rust on the bottom of the doors after about 5 years from the sand beating up the paint and then the salt getting in there and eating away....

Reaction score
We all love the 2018+ redesign, its better in most every way (IMO) and more importantly, most professional auto reviewers are very impressed with the new Expy/Navi, so impressed that they are giving the edge to Ford in the never ending Ford Expedition/Navigator vs. GM Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade race. What a great win for Ford!

The list of positives is long: great looks, great ride, great comfort, great features….but this thread is about the things we wish Ford would do differently, and who knows maybe they will listen and make some changes in the coming years. I personally like 99% of everything in the new Expedition/Navigator, but there is that 1% that I wish could be improved.

I just spent two weeks and 2,000 miles with a beautiful 2018 Expedition. Overall, I LOVED it. But below are my issues and “change requests” to Ford.

What are your wish/change requests to Ford? Here's mine:
  1. Fix the rear seat entertainment system. The software is clunky, slow, and almost unusable.
  2. Third row, driver's side seat, seatbelt harness that descends from ceiling is made of hard plastic and is way too close to a person's head. God forbid one is ever in an accident, or even if one has to make a sudden lane change…your head would smack against hard plastic that is protruding from the ceiling. Ford, please just wrap that thing in some soft touch material.
  3. Heated seats and heated steering wheel: don’t get hot enough, and heated steering wheel feels like it cycles heat- gets warm for 30 seconds, then cools for 3 minutes, then warm again for 30 seconds…instead of a steady warm heat. (i know, first world problems, but I'm comparing this to GM's)
  4. Second row captains seats (and maybe bench too) are perforated, which is nice for adults, but horrible to keep clean with kids. Try cleaning a smashed banana or ******* out of those tiny little holes. [emoji4] Ford, please provide the option of non-perforated captains seats.
  5. I almost don't want to mention this because its too hard to change and maybe I just needed to get used to it: The doors have a very large (2 inches) horizontal lip at the bottom that basically just sticks out towards the inside of the door. It's for a wrap around style that looks great when the door is closed. However, on the first day we had the vehicle, both I and my wife separately smacked our legs hard into this protruding lip as we were getting into the vehicle. I actually got a huge welt from it that is still healing after 3 weeks- ouch. You just don't expect to have to swing one's leg so far away from the door when getting in. With other cars you can kind of swing your leg right up next to the door, but with the Expy you have to give it room. Maybe we just needed to get used to this unique design "feature", which I think we did as it only happened on the first day.
I doubt Ford cares.

1. Don’t use it then
2. Wrap it in bubble wrap or some soft fleece fabric
3. Wear gloves
4. Seat protectors sold at babies r us or Walmart, or just don’t let messy kids eat in the car
5. Open the door more

As for gas tank, if someone wants your gas that bad they will find a way to get it

And the moon roofs are dumb

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt Ford cares.

1. Don’t use it then
2. Wrap it in bubble wrap or some soft fleece fabric
3. Wear gloves
4. Seat protectors sold at babies r us or Walmart, or just don’t let messy kids eat in the car
5. Open the door more

As for gas tank, if someone wants your gas that bad they will find a way to get it

And the moon roofs are dumb

Yep, as with everything buy what you like and you don’t need everything. We can’t have it all or we can’t afford it, impossible to please everyone. When ford sold my truck “sucks on gas, has no backup camera, no blind spot or WiFi, none of the latest gadgets..... but it’s more bad*ss and tough than any of the competitions fluffy tooth fairy trucks so take it or leave it” I took it and haven’t looked back, been a great vehicle.