Ford back with big blocks and pushrods!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think most are random and evenly distributed on how they purchase. I know a lot of people who buy new and keep for 10+ years and those who trade in every few. I also know many who only buy used. When the day comes I can have a perpetual $1,000+ monthly payment on a vehicle I’ll do it....but I’m just out of the gate in this game of life and can’t come close and feed myself. I could swing a newer truck but I’d have to go out less and live less....so I just keep mine rolling. I do see the value in always having a new vehicle for sure, when it’s no longer worth your time to do your own maintenance and you don’t want down time you can’t beat new.

Don’t aspire to having a $1000 monthly payment. Aspire to walking in dropping down a stack of cash and walking out with a new car....at whatever frequency Between purchases you choose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think most are random and evenly distributed on how they purchase. I know a lot of people who buy new and keep for 10+ years and those who trade in every few. I also know many who only buy used. When the day comes I can have a perpetual $1,000+ monthly payment on a vehicle I’ll do it....but I’m just out of the gate in this game of life and can’t come close and feed myself. I could swing a newer truck but I’d have to go out less and live less....so I just keep mine rolling. I do see the value in always having a new vehicle for sure, when it’s no longer worth your time to do your own maintenance and you don’t want down time you can’t beat new.
Unfortunately, The Game of Life might not get any easier in the future.
For me, it's not about being able to have a Perpetual payment. I had a car payment once in my life and I will never have another.
Some people do things one way because their parents did or they think it's the only way or it is the only way they have ever done anything and I just don't know what the other way feels like.
I have done most all of these things. So I have at least a little bit of personal experience and research to know what works best for me.
I just don't want to spend the money will like that and maintain a 500 -$800 or more car payment when the end result is about the same.
I have always had multiple vehicles.
This is also where some people choose to have one more expensive vehicle than to have two lesser expensive vehicles.
I can have four or five older one sitting around and even with the additional cost of ownership for multiple vehicles, I am way below what I would spend in the year for one new vehicle.
With multiple Vehicles, even if 1/2 is needed repair, I can just use another one until I get around to fixing that one.
This means no rush and I'm not forced to take it to the garage and pay top dollar to have it fixed in one day.
So everyone has their preferences, but if you actually do the numbers the numbers to each person's specific situation don't lie.
Many people are totally willing to pay the extra money to have the Peace of Mind other warranty and the niceties of a newer vehicle.
I prefer to have older vehicles and I get a super big kick out of having something older that is in mint condition was super low miles.
My last purchase was a nineteen-year-old vehicle with 49k on it that is in near mint condition.
My vehicle a few months before that was 15 years old and also in near mint condition with a few more miles on it but still excessively low for a 15 year old vehicle.
I got them both for under $0.10 on the dollar what they sold for new.
I could drive either of these vehicles for the next 10 years without concern.
I could also put that thousand dollars a month away and in a few years, go pay cash for a new car.

Some people see it as suffering not having a brand new car. I get a huge joy out of having something older that is in perfect condition and having people comment all the time on how nice it is and ask me what year it is.
But, I'm also a classic car, Hot Rod, motorhead. I like to have all things and fix them up and make them cool, head-turners, and conversation pieces.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t aspire to having a $1000 monthly payment. Aspire to walking in dropping down a stack of cash and walking out with a new car....at whatever frequency Between purchases you choose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed for sure, I’d rather own it outright than pay all that extra interest for years. No payment on mine albeit an older one. It’s crazy to me people are still making payments on trucks that have lost most of their value as well.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed for sure, I’d rather own it outright than pay all that extra interest for years. No payment on mine albeit an older one. It’s crazy to me people are still making payments on truckys that have lost most of their value as well.

I think some people just get into a habit or know no other way.
They just keep on doing what they've been doing. I know a young couple that make pretty good money and they tend to buy new vehicles every 3 or 4 years.
I could go out shopping tomorrow and find tons of super nice 5 to 7 year old vehicles with great miles on them for such a fraction of the cost. You could still Finance if you don't have the savings to buy it but your payment would be so much less.
Then there's the evil lease. Lisa's were designed for businesses who want to have another ride off and want to keep new vehicles in great shape under warranty at all times and for people who also want extreme peace of mind and like to get new vehicles often. A lease becomes a never-ending cycle and you always have a payment. I'll pass on that.
You don't really have to spend 10 and $15,000 to get a nice vehicle either.
You can go out there and find tons of super nice good mile vehicles for under $6,000.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I stopped buying new in 1985. I've had car payments twice since then, both under 200/mo; first time for a few months before I paid it off, this time for 5 months so far. should be paid off this year. Driving almost for free is so relaxing.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5Star Tuning just bought 2 new 7.3 trucks and did a few stock 7.3 Godzilla overlays with other engines to demonstrate the 7.3s monster torque, first graph is comparing to the 3.5 Ecoboost...the 7.3 gas has handily more low end torque. Recall this engine is relatively detuned for durability. Impressive for a naturally aspirated mill.
BEE128EA-96F0-471A-9833-ABF458ED6A75.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd is the 6.2L V8 Engine that is now the base. Results similar, torque comes on handily sooner with the 7.3.
39409AAE-CA19-4FA3-B19F-1A5A3E7C0038.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked 5Star Tuning what kind of torque he is seeing on their new 7.3 trucks tune. They have 2 that have been delivered one a Tremor and one an STX with 3.55s and the last is going to be his long term personal truck which is a 7.3L DRW for towing their fifth wheel. This truck will replace his personal 6.2 truck that’s been on towing duty for the last few years. Said on 87 octane they are seeing over 500 lb ft crank torque via drivetrain loss calculation. They are now working on 89 and 93 octane tunes which will yield more gains.

Last edited:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the new Big Block is actually smaller in physical size, maybe Ford will stuff them in the new Bronco? I know wishful thinking. We can only hope and dream.