Ford back with big blocks and pushrods!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I am all in on Godzilla. Iron block. Cam in block vs OHC. No more direct injection. What’s not to like?

Oh some geek will complain about gas mileage of course and the harm to the environment.

Or a malcontent who suffered VVT failures or the 5.0 oblong cylinder distortion failures.

None of that speaks to this design which so far looks like a response to the market dissatisfaction w previous power plants going back to the 3v 5.4.

Now, what’s the sticker on this beast?

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to love America....

Europe: “Let’s put small turbos in everything!”

America: “Hold my beer, I’ll show you how to build a real engine!”

houlster

Reaction score
This should be a home run for Ford!

3:20 in the video...

It's designed to make the power required at stoichiometric fuel ratio? It ended up 7.3l as that's what it took to make the power they wanted running @ stoic ratios. Whatever the numbers are, I can see this thing making A LOT more power once tuners get their hands on it.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3:20 in the video...

It's designed to make the power required at stoichiometric fuel ratio? It ended up 7.3l as that's what it took to make the power they wanted running @ stoic ratios. Whatever the numbers are, I can see this thing making A LOT more power once tuners get their hands on it.
I know horsepower sells to a certain group of the population but definitely not the largest group. Some of us don't look at horsepower in are purchasing decisions as much as we do design or durability or perceive durability.
People that tow things want to have enough power but they assume most V8 will have that already.
I'm not a fan of all the new high-tech designs because every time they come out with something new despite what they tell us and what other people on the forums tell us about how they have tortured tested it... That is all a bunch of bull. Every time something new comes out in the automotive World it takes five or six years to see all the failures. Look at all the problems.
Almost every 3.4 l and 3.8 L out there had to have the intake replaced. If we had it to do over we would demand to have an aluminum intake and wouldn't buy anything with a plastic top end.
But of course when they came out they had thoroughly designed and tested it to make it more durable then aluminum and give all the other stupid benefits they touted. Then we have the Fanboys on the internet that went on there and said oh yes they will be so much better. Well they weren't!
I don't understand how a certain group of people in the world automatically give the benefit of the doubt to a new design and accept it and hope for the best. They don't even hope for the best. They just assume it will be just fine. The other part of the population are skeptical about anything that's new that's different than the old design that's tried-and-true and had the bugs already worked out of it over the years.
One-way seems totally logical to me and I don't understand the other mindset.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m curious as to what tea leaves Ford and GM have been reading. Why just now have they decided to bring new large gas offerings? Chrysler tells us they are developing a 7.0L V8 as well. All 3 will have a big block out for 2020! You have Ford 7.3L, GM 6.6L, RAM 7.0L.

Are the end of diesels upon us? Maybe it’s the last hoorah before everything is a golf cart, who knows.

greenies' pet politicians have been driving up the cost of operating diesels for a couple of decades now. they mean to get them all off the road eventually.

Last edited:

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know horsepower sells to a certain group of the population but definitely not the largest group. Some of us don't look at horsepower in are purchasing decisions as much as we do design or durability or perceive durability.
People that tow things want to have enough power but they assume most V8 will have that already.
I'm not a fan of all the new high-tech designs because every time they come out with something new despite what they tell us and what other people on the forums tell us about how they have tortured tested it... That is all a bunch of bull. Every time something new comes out in the automotive World it takes five or six years to see all the failures. Look at all the problems.
Almost every 3.4 l and 3.8 L out there had to have the intake replaced. If we had it to do over we would demand to have an aluminum intake and wouldn't buy anything with a plastic top end.
But of course when they came out they had thoroughly designed and tested it to make it more durable then aluminum and give all the other stupid benefits they touted. Then we have the Fanboys on the internet that went on there and said oh yes they will be so much better. Well they weren't!
I don't understand how a certain group of people in the world automatically give the benefit of the doubt to a new design and accept it and hope for the best. They don't even hope for the best. They just assume it will be just fine. The other part of the population are skeptical about anything that's new that's different than the old design that's tried-and-true and had the bugs already worked out of it over the years.
One-way seems totally logical to me and I don't understand the other mindset.

Some people have warranty’s and don’t keep their vehicles for more the 3 years.

*raises hand*

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some people have warranty’s and don’t keep their vehicles for more the 3 years.

*raises hand*

Very true. Some people also drive and treat their vehicles like a rental car because they won't have them after 3 years.
There are a few different types of car owners.
Some people buy new but very infrequently and get the maximum amount of life out of them before they give them away, send them to the junkyard, and go buy a new one.
Some people only by quite used vehicles when the values have really bought them doubt and like to focus on the great designs that go 250,000 miles with almost no repairs.
Then some people like newer so they buy slightly used and some still have a warranty or for a small price can I have the same warranty situation as a new car purchase for a few more years.

I'm sure there are other types as we probably can't cover them all but that covers a few of the main ones.

I guess being the eternal pessimist, instead of buying a new car and just assuming that everything is going to be right as most people do and then sometimes being disappointed... I would rather buy one that is a couple of years old or even just slightly used so as to be more confident that any bugs have already been worked out regarding that individual vehicle.
Let someone else have the headache of making one two three trips to the dealer to get stuff fixed while saving a bunch of money also.
I have zero desire to have a brand new one or to be the first person to drive it or the first ass to sit in the seat as many people do.

Then my pessimism carries on to new designs and new engines that come out.
I don't want to be the guinea pig with a new engine that comes out or the new 10-speed transmission Etc.
As I mentioned in my previous post, the believers will tell you that they have thoroughly torture tested and rigorously checked out this transmission before it goes to Market and they have no concerns about it lasting a long time and being trouble-free.
As we know, over the history of automobiles, this is not always the case.
I assume there will be problems so I would rather just wait a few years down the road to see what pans out to be good in trouble free and go by that oh, while avoiding the ones that have proved to be problematic.
Once again, different strokes for different folks...
In the end, we all accomplished the same thing with having transportation and getting back and forth to work or whatever.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most are random and evenly distributed on how they purchase. I know a lot of people who buy new and keep for 10+ years and those who trade in every few. I also know many who only buy used. When the day comes I can have a perpetual $1,000+ monthly payment on a vehicle I’ll do it....but I’m just out of the gate in this game of life and can’t come close and feed myself. I could swing a newer truck but I’d have to go out less and live less....so I just keep mine rolling. I do see the value in always having a new vehicle for sure, when it’s no longer worth your time to do your own maintenance and you don’t want down time you can’t beat new.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze