Ford back with big blocks and pushrods!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
V8 on new Expedition is it true?

See!! It just makes lots of people feel all warm and fuzzy to see a V8 in a truck or full size SUV.
What are they thinking taking them away!!!!
As long as there is ONE sports car or any one vehicle made with a V8, there is NO reason why we can't have that in an Expedition or F150.
I'm right, that's all.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the V8's these days getting 16 mpg city and up, and running so clean, you can barely sniff them running, why not? Give the people what they want. Here in the U.S. we've always liked bigger than what we need. Those big ole land yacts from the 40's thru the 70's sold great. They showed your neighbor, hey I'm somebody. The Expedition is a modern day station wagon, that commands respect when you pull up next to someone. You wouldn't believe the looks I get at stop lights. Big ole green SUV, chrome big wheels, lifted, and my 320 pound moose self behind the wheel. Scares pedestrians I'm coming up on, they tend to walk a bit faster in crosswalks.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

barongan

Reaction score
Pretty interesting posting
o.png

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just saw my 1st "new" ranger on the road yesterday. Looks nice. It only comes with 1 motor. A 4 cyclinder twin turbo. I think it's rated to tow 7,500 lbs.

Ford is all in with turbo motors, one would think they want and engineer them to last.

MSRP: From $24,000
Towing capacity: 7,500 lbs
Dimensions: 211″ L x 86″ W x 71-72″ H
Payload: 1,609 to 2,128 lbs
Engine: 2.3 L 4-cylinder

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it comes to working efficiency, reliability, and ownership cost over miles nothing beats a big block in medium duty application...Exactly why Ford designed the 6.2L in 2011 and now is adding this “big block” to the lineup. These engines are built for work, more bore spacing, cooling, cast iron blocks.

Can’t wait to drive this 2020 7.3L, breath of fresh air.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really saddens me to see the only engine they offer in the ranger is a 4-cylinder Turbo and let me say that any engineer that designs two turbos for a 4 cylinder is out of their mind. It does not make it that much smoother for power delivery and not worth it.
I have never been too much of a fan of Ford V6s because they never made too many good ones.
You really can't get by with a 4 cylinder in a small size or even medium sized which that might be what the Ranger is now pickup truck without a turbo.
I would just take for turbos off the drawing board.
It is odd to see how far it is all in as you put it. This is just got to be a fad with their current design teams. There's nothing new or improved in Turbos in the recent 5 to 10 years. They still do exactly what they've always done which are awesome cool great things.... especially performance applications.
They also do exactly what they've always done..... need replacing.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rangers have had 4 cylinders forever so it doesn’t really surprise me, a V6 would have been cool. I think the 2.7L EcoBoost would be a match made in heaven for the ranger.

For full size trucks give me the V8. The 5.0 is good, but it doesn’t replace the torque curve of the 5.4 Triton....so the ecoboost made more sense for the expy. The 6.2L is a good choice as well, would be nice to have a 6.2 option for the expy and 150 again instead of just the Super Duty.

Last edited:

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ranger in next run for next year will most likley get two engine choices.
i was at my servicing dealer today having the edges coolant changed, its 7 years old and we could not find a definite if it had been done before.
ANYWHOOO
the bay next to my edge had a brand new ranger up high in the air and was wiggling from somebody yanking on it. the service writer said the guy just bought it and was complaining about a weird noise/rattle.
i left before the outcome was known.....but our roads SUCK bad so it could be a loose heat shield or ????

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They'll hopefully do like the 1 St year of any vehicle, expand the motor size or choices. The 2.7 would definitely be a nice box to check on the list. Who knows maybe they'll make the ranger size a little bigger if it takes off, and shoehorn in a Coyote 5.0. That would be swell. 395 ponies and a 10 speed auto. Well maybe 10 years from now, one of you guys could transplant one into your now old 2019 in 2029. Guys did that with S10 Chevy's with 350 small blocks.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk