Ford field service action number 21B10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I don’t know how a software can fix this, unless it increases the crancking time at start up to feed oil to the phasers and mask the noise.

See the picture below that compares the new style phasers on our gen 2 (left) to old style on gen 1 (right). I guess this huge spring returns the phasers back to the resting position to lock and probably that’s why the plastic lock pin shears off. I am not a mechanical engineer, but that spring looks too strong for a small plastic pin!

0972516A-1358-4AA3-AAAD-4B3E4E40FD4F.jpeg

By the way, this picture is taken from this video

Todd Prestonq

Reaction score
I took mine in for the "rattling" noise about 5 months ago and the diagnostic was a bad catalytic converter? And I could still hear a little bit of rattling on start up ‍♂️
Trying to determine my rattling noise and I saw your reply. I get something like the wastegate rattle noise while driving but much louder. It's definitely throttle-related. Seems like normally I heard it around 35-45mph and it doesn't matter if I'm going up a hill or straight away. What were your symptoms of the bad catalytic converter?

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dealer did finally install the new body mounts and a shock absorber mount. The chock mount was the knocking My wife kept telling me it was from a loose/bad shock. She was right.

Knut

Reaction score
I've done a lot of reading and looking at videos of Mechanics discussing this issue, and here is my take away:

1. The problem with the cam phaser noise is that it takes to long for the oil to get up and lubricate the internal mechanical parts, when starting the engine cold. (no residual oil around) This starting without oil lubrication is wearing down the internal mechanical parts.

2. The reprogramming is for the PCM module and what it does is to delay the ignition a couple of seconds to be able to get the oil from the bottom up and lubricate the internal stuff, before the engine turns over fully and fires up. You can achieve the same by pressing the gas and brake simultaneously, then also pushing the start button, after a couple of seconds release the gas peddal and it starts normally, but now with oil lubricating the internal parts right away.

3. If the damage is done already, ie. you have the ticking noise; the PCM reprogramming is not going to do much

4. If you already have the ticking noise, the only way to fix it, is to have the internal mechanical parts replaced.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've done a lot of reading and looking at videos of Mechanics discussing this issue, and here is my take away:

1. The problem with the cam phaser noise is that it takes to long for the oil to get up and lubricate the internal mechanical parts, when starting the engine cold. (no residual oil around) This starting without oil lubrication is wearing down the internal mechanical parts.

2. The reprogramming is for the PCM module and what it does is to delay the ignition a couple of seconds to be able to get the oil from the bottom up and lubricate the internal stuff, before the engine turns over fully and fires up. You can achieve the same by pressing the gas and brake simultaneously, then also pushing the start button, after a couple of seconds release the gas peddal and it starts normally, but now with oil lubricating the internal parts right away.

3. If the damage is done already, ie. you have the ticking noise; the PCM reprogramming is not going to do much

4. If you already have the ticking noise, the only way to fix it, is to have the internal mechanical parts replaced.
Yup…here my post from another thread saying basically the same thing. I wish more folks understood this as I think it would reduce the number of disappointed people leaving the dealer with, what they they think is, a fix.

Post in thread 'Phaser Recall'
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/phaser-recall.48176/post-445512

KenK

Reaction score
Called a dealer here in Houston to schedule the 21B10 so I could get in on the August 30 deadline for the extended warranty and the dealer said these are on-hold and they have been instructed NOT to perform the update due to it causing shifting issues with the transmission. I have a 2018 Max 4x4 w max tow

KenK

Reaction score
Has anyone considered adding a quart Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer to their oil change to prevent the cam phaser issue?
I have used the original petroleum-based version in an old truck with lifter problems and it worked wonders.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe Ford is refusing to do anything until they go bankrupt and sell out to Fiat. ;)