Ford quietly redesigned the thermostat in 2022...replace it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love it when people pull random images off the internet. If it isn't random and you are using or have used the plug on the right in your 3.5 Ecoboost, you are using the wrong one.

LTR7BHX is the part number from NGK most people that know these motors are recommending. It is one heat range cooler, and comes gapped at .031. If you want the same heat range as stock, use LTR6BHX also gapped at .031. If you are tuned you should gap at .028, I even do .028 when stock in the Ecoboosts that are factory gapped at .031. You will notice a smoother idle.

Just because a plug is made by the same manufacturer does not mean it is the same quality. OEM Ford plugs have been proven not to last even close to their recommended 100K interval. If you are towing or doing a lot of city driving you will notice a drop in MPG around 30K. Changing the plugs will gain most of it back, and if you go to better plugs like the part numbers mentioned above, you might even see an improvement. Even with the NGK Ruthenium plugs I would not recommend a 100K interval. EcoBoosts are hard on plugs, as most Turbo motors are because of added cylinder pressure and heat.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
NGK makes the Motorcraft spark plugs. As for the air filter the vehicle was designed for that air filter or vice versa. Ford will blame the aftermarket air filter if there are issues. In terms of warranty you are better of using the parts Ford tells you to use especially the oil filter If anything goes wrong they will look for aftermarket parts to blame and might give you a problem warranty wise.

Here is a Motorcraft plug and an NGK.
HaHaHaHaHa!!! The ford Engineers designed it, so it must be the best thing to use. Yet, the Thermostat they designed got redesigned that they also designed...the irony.

If a Ford Dealer tried to blame my AFE Dry filter for a failure, and it was still 100% intact and had no issues, they would have a fight on their hands. That would be a PERFECT example of when the Magnusson-Moss act actually does come into play. Not to mention they would lose my business, and many others. I use AFE dry because I rinse it out when I wash my cars, let it dry, and reinstall it. Done. I use the cleaner they recommend every 30K. Filters a little better(independent tests), flows better, and reusable. No brainer.

Now you are mentioning the oil Filter...I use Motorcraft, but because the dealer does my oil changes under lifetime maintenance. If I was doing it myself I would have no issues using FRAM or any other reputable manufacturer.

You make ZERO sense!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plugs are smoked by 50k miles on these 3rd and 4th gen 5.0L engines in the F-150 due to the crazy high compression ratio we are running. I’d imagine the EcoBoosts are shot by 35-40k miles. The engine will adjust and it probably won’t misfire until 100k, but you start losing performance well before that point. I’m going to have all the fluids changed on my 2023 F-150 at 50k along with plugs. (Yes transmission fluid and differentials included). The service intervals on all the fluids on these trucks is too long, watch fordtechmakuloco. All your fluids are totally shot by 50-60k and hard parts failures come if you don’t replace. The Mercon ULV gets HOT in these 10 speeds. I say change everything early.

OP
OP
N

NavigatorPro

Reaction score
I didnt use the Ruthenium plugs for an Ecoboost...I used it for a 3.7 liter Duratec.

I use Motorcraft plugs for warranty purposes. I have 150k fleet warranty on the Navigators. So if something happens to the engine I dont want anyone pointing to the aftermarket plugs and saying thats the problem. There have been engine issues in the past for example the 2018 model year.

You can put what you want in your vehicle. As for the Motorcraft plugs wearing out they are only $7 per plug on RockAuto and I change them myself. Its not a big expense.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HaHaHaHaHa!!! The ford Engineers designed it, so it must be the best thing to use. Yet, the Thermostat they designed got redesigned that they also designed...the irony.

If a Ford Dealer tried to blame my AFE Dry filter for a failure, and it was still 100% intact and had no issues, they would have a fight on their hands. That would be a PERFECT example of when the Magnusson-Moss act actually does come into play. Not to mention they would lose my business, and many others. I use AFE dry because I rinse it out when I wash my cars, let it dry, and reinstall it. Done. I use the cleaner they recommend every 30K. Filters a little better(independent tests), flows better, and reusable. No brainer.

Now you are mentioning the oil Filter...I use Motorcraft, but because the dealer does my oil changes under lifetime maintenance. If I was doing it myself I would have no issues using FRAM or any other reputable manufacturer.

You make ZERO sense!
Take it easy Loki!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I didnt use the Ruthenium plugs for an Ecoboost...I used it for a 3.7 liter Duratec.

I use Motorcraft plugs for warranty purposes. I have 150k fleet warranty on the Navigators. So if something happens to the engine I dont want anyone pointing to the aftermarket plugs and saying thats the problem. There have been engine issues in the past for example the 2018 model year.

You can put what you want in your vehicle. As for the Motorcraft plugs wearing out they are only $7 per plug on RockAuto and I change them myself. Its not a big expense.
OK, so you used a better plug in the Duratec 3.7? The Great Uncle to the 3.5 Ecoboost we are also talking about, yet with higher pressure and heat, cause well Turbo charged. Yet you aren't willing to use the better plug in a Motor where it would benefit even more? Yet another example your logic is flawed.

Even looking at your picture where you are saying the plugs are basically the same because they are made by NGK, yet there ARE differences. The biggest visible difference is the size of the insulator around the center electrode. There is a big difference there. OEM plugs made by a manufacturer for an OEM spec are not the same as aftermarket.

2018 Engine issues? Documentation? All of the 2nd Gen 3.5's have the Cam-Phaser issues. Some worse than others. Own a 2020, and it hasn't had the issue. I am curious as to what Engine issues you are referencing?

Yes, I can use what I want in my Motor and you can in yours.... Your statement was and I quote, " a) spark plugs/coils...only use Motorcraft most current", not I recommend. You made the statement like it was fact. It isn't. People with WAY more experience than you recommend the opposite, including actual Ford mechanics. We can agree to disagree, that is fine, but I will correct statements in my opinion to be wrong when I see them. I don't hold back, you can see that from my previous posts, but I will say the same exact thing to your face. Have a wonderful day...

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... AFE, AEM, and I am sure other make dry cleanable cotton based filters that filter as good as stock, but allow more flow due to greater surface area, are less likely to get clogged again due to greater surface area. Then if we want to talk to the best filter out there, that would be Donaldson's powerCore. Amazing flow and filter.
@LokiWolf , I went to Donaldson's website and am only finding applications for V8 Expeditions. Do you know of EB applications, or were you talking in general?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@LokiWolf , I went to Donaldson's website and am only finding applications for V8 Expeditions. Do you know of EB applications, or were you talking in general?
Sorry for the lack of clarity. You have to swap to an aftermarket setup to use the Powercore filter. It is massive, and in my opinion an amazing piece of engineering.

Here is Volant's kit that can be ordered with it for the 18-22 Expedition.

Volant Intake - Powercore

I am using a Corsa intake on my 21 PowerBoost 150 which is a rebadged Volant with the PowerCore. It is one of 2 intakes that fit the Powerboost because of the 2nd Coolant overflow. So happy I found it honestly!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me put this in a different light, at least Ford redesigns this stuff and fixes it. In 2018 they introduced the 3rd generation of the 5.0L V8. They added dual injection, high compression pistons, plasma arc cylinder liners. Job 1 trucks quickly started consuming insane levels of oil. 1 year before this Ford released the 2nd generation of the 3.5 EcoBoost. Job 1 trucks quickly started rattling and many still believe the oil galleys casted into the block were not large enough resulting in excessive top end wear. Many shops find excessive wear in the cam caps on these era engine. Admittedly 17-20 F-150 engines were a hot mess. Disaster. So much so I refused to buy a used truck when researching. But in 2021 Ford gave the 5.0L all new pistons with new oil control rings, new intake manifold and throttle body, VCT’s. They added power, brought the torque curve lower into the revs, and made it more reliable. They gave the 3.5L an all new generation of camphasers and changed the pistons and some things in the block. Again adding power. They fixed the motors!!

Contrast: GM has had lifter failures on the LS and LT since 2007. What have they done? Nothing. Same sh*t different day. I’d rather see a manufacturer improve on issues they find than deny it and never fix it.

Last edited: