Ford quietly redesigned the thermostat in 2022...replace it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that new thermostat has a plastic valve ? huh.
Yes. Original is a brass piece. Comparing the two before I installed the new one, I noticed the plastic tail piece slid smoothly. The brass piece would bind sometimes. Not sure if that was causing my higher temps (and warning on dash), but it makes sense.

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just looked at the link you provided—I would not buy that thermostat. It’s got the brass tail piece, which on my original one would bind, causing temps to rise.

Looked in my Amazon history, and there it was. Part number is RT1258, $24.
Thank you very much for your guidance! Rockauto lists RT1258 as 190F. But the temp number printed on the thermostat clearly shows 82c, which is equal to 180F. Excellent!

Last edited:

wpaul

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum. Regarding this thermostat discussion, would a jet low temperature thermostat be a good option versus the Ford factory part?

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum. Regarding this thermostat discussion, would a jet low temperature thermostat be a good option versus the Ford factory part?
I would always stay with authorized parts, unless you are out of both warranties. But there are many good after market parts available, as well as many bad ones.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run a ford 170 thermostat in mine, keeps trans temp around 165-170 for highway. City driving will see the trans run around 170-175. Thermostat temps range between 165-195 (165 is in down hill sections where I’m coasting and the 195 is when I come off the throttle and it spikes briefly before cooling off rapidly) during mountain driving where the engine is using a lot of boost. Engine coolant typically stays around 180-185 on relatively level ground.

On any thermostat you’ll find that where the temp sensor is, it will read about 10 degrees hotter than the number stamped on the thermostat. The trans will read almost dead-on what the thermostat is rated at.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run a ford 170 thermostat in mine, keeps trans temp around 165-170 for highway. City driving will see the trans run around 170-175. Thermostat temps range between 165-195 (165 is in down hill sections where I’m coasting and the 195 is when I come off the throttle and it spikes briefly before cooling off rapidly) during mountain driving where the engine is using a lot of boost. Engine coolant typically stays around 180-185 on relatively level ground.

On any thermostat you’ll find that where the temp sensor is, it will read about 10 degrees hotter than the number stamped on the thermostat. The trans will read almost dead-on what the thermostat is rated at.

What's the Ford part number for the 170 thermostat?

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live up North and went with the improved version but in a 180 degree temp. Part number is BR3E-8575-BB. Trans runs around 185-190 and the engine stays at about 190-195 with this t stat temp. On hard pulls on warm days it will cross to about 205-210 but return back down after the load is lessened. Reason I went with the 180 was for heat in the winter. It’s got plenty even with this temp and couldn’t be happier. I almost think a 170 would be fine as well even for me in the North.