Ford quietly redesigned the thermostat in 2022...replace it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bshowalter

Reaction score
Another data point for this thread. Swapped to the new thermostat in my 2019 Max with Max Tow Package. Towing my ~6k lb boat with family and gear in the truck it ran 10-15 degrees cooler on average, both engine and trans temps. Highly recommend this update if you haven't done it.

F150 Pat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm assuming the new style is only to prevent sticking closed but is not a lower opening temp. It's still a 190 opening temp. Was the stock a 190 or 195 opening temp? Does it need a gasket? I would assume it would but don't see it as coming with the thermostat

Last edited:

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought the gasket separate. My original one (was sticking closed) was 195*. Replaced it with 180*. I was under the impression that it had a 190*, so I figured ten degrees cooler would help but not be too different.

That said, I am totally happy with the 180*.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2019 Max Platinum just started running hot but so far it’s only on interstate when going up any kind of grade, doesn’t even have to be all that much. Usually when it gets to the peak it’ll show 235 degrees. I recently had 2 heater hoses replaced that were leaking and it didn’t start doing it till after that. I need to call the dealer back and see what they say. I may have to replace it myself tho, I can’t afford those high dealer prices…. They charged me $600 in labor to change the two hoses, and they were quick connects.

Any write ups out there on changing out the thermostat? It doesn’t look too terribly complicated.
View attachment 77453
How do you make the numeric temperature appear above the engine temp gauge? Forscan?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First towing trip with the new thermostat. About 100 miles round-trip. Going out, 58° outside, Transmission temp 201°. Coming back outside temp 90° transmission temp 216°. Mild rolling Hills. 7500 pound 28 foot trailer. 65 MPH.
How did you get the numeric transmission temperatures?