ForScan Tweaks - 2015+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had numerous instances where I need to get out from a running vehicle...just yesterday I got home from work and the trashmen left my cans in the very center of my driveway. I pull to the side, open the door and jump out, cringing because of the impending horn honk that always happens just as I'm clearing the front of the truck. The odd thing is that often, we'll find ways to avoid doing whatever so we don't have to either dig into our pockets for the key or hear the horn blare in our ear.

I wonder if Ford intentionally doesn't train the tech in this software for a reason.....so it's not part of their repertoire of knowledge.

I'm sure that some of you guys know what you are doing and some have a little bit of knowledge which from my own experience, can be REALLY dangerous...so do as Loki suggests no matter how tempted you may be to make multiple changes, do 1 at a time because you may find like we have on the IMU's of bikes.....they didn't enable a certain feature because it conflicts with another feature maybe not found on that other model. Or worse, it only causes a conflict under a certain set of parameters....

Now, all that said.....I bought one of these a while back for $2.99 and I use it to clear codes whenever and I don't need to carry my orange scan tool around with me. It works perfectly and for 3 lousy bucks, it's fantastic BUT I ONLY USE IT TO SCAN & CLEAR and would never attempt to alter any settings using this CCJ (cheap chinese junk). It's great for what it is though and it connects to my phone via BT running free software.

Loki,

There appears to be two types of the device you use(426801 &426101). I think that you have the 6101. It looks like the only difference is the wi-fi vs BT. Is that the only difference and which would be best for someone with a strong wi-fi router at home but with no laptop to take to the truck?

Thanks in advance...

jeff

20170501_182713_resized.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had numerous instances where I need to get out from a running vehicle...just yesterday I got home from work and the trashmen left my cans in the very center of my driveway. I pull to the side, open the door and jump out, cringing because of the impending horn honk that always happens just as I'm clearing the front of the truck. The odd thing is that often, we'll find ways to avoid doing whatever so we don't have to either dig into our pockets for the key or hear the horn blare in our ear.

I wonder if Ford intentionally doesn't train the tech in this software for a reason.....so it's not part of their repertoire of knowledge.

I'm sure that some of you guys know what you are doing and some have a little bit of knowledge which from my own experience, can be REALLY dangerous...so do as Loki suggests no matter how tempted you may be to make multiple changes, do 1 at a time because you may find like we have on the IMU's of bikes.....they didn't enable a certain feature because it conflicts with another feature maybe not found on that other model. Or worse, it only causes a conflict under a certain set of parameters....

Now, all that said.....I bought one of these a while back for $2.99 and I use it to clear codes whenever and I don't need to carry my orange scan tool around with me. It works perfectly and for 3 lousy bucks, it's fantastic BUT I ONLY USE IT TO SCAN & CLEAR and would never attempt to alter any settings using this CCJ (cheap chinese junk). It's great for what it is though and it connects to my phone via BT running free software.

Loki,

There appears to be two types of the device you use(426801 &426101). I think that you have the 6101. It looks like the only difference is the wi-fi vs BT. Is that the only difference and which would be best for someone with a strong wi-fi router at home but with no laptop to take to the truck?

Thanks in advance...

jeff

View attachment 20177

Jeff, Thanks.

I use the Bluetooth one, so my Wifi on my laptop can be used to connect to my Router. The Wifi one is point to point. It does not connect to wifi, it broadcasts a wifi signal so a device(Laptop/Phone) can connect to it.

1 Issue with the BT one is that it cannot be used with an iOS device, for use with the monitor only Lite version of Forscan App. But for programming I have found the BT adapters in general to be MUCH more dependable, because of the nature of how they connect. Think about it this way...your device whether Phone or Laptop can connect to multiple BT devices at once without disconnecting others. Most devices can only be connected to 1 Wifi device at a time, so if your laptop/phone sees a preferred Wifi signal it will jump off your device and on to that Wifi, severing the connection.

I own 9 of these "wireless" ODBII devices, 5 of which still work. I use 2 the most. The ODBLink MX BT I use for programming, and the Kiwi3 I use for Monitor. I would use the Kiwi 3 for everything but Forscan only supports it on iOS, and not for MSCan yet.

To clarify, Ford Techs have access to these same modules and changes via the Ford IDS system, but most don't know how to make these changes.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the insight into this issue. I will again approach my dealership on the "honk honk" issue armed with this information. I figured there should be a simple fix and Ford should be able to deal with it. I also figured they just didn't want to...

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ours won't lock with any key inside...

Huh!! Then that's the problem you need to fix as that is one of the main reasons for the key pad even being there. I leave my key in the center console under the radio all the time when I'm driving. I don't carry it in my pocket, its a habit from driving my CTSV. Anyways if I have to stop at a gas station or post office or something and run in real quick and my kids are in the car, I hop out hit the 8&9 number pad and it locks. I run in real quick do my thing come back out punch in my code and it unlocks.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Huh!! Then that's the problem you need to fix as that is one of the main reasons for the key pad even being there. I leave my key in the center console under the radio all the time when I'm driving. I don't carry it in my pocket, its a habit from driving my CTSV. Anyways if I have to stop at a gas station or post office or something and run in real quick and my kids are in the car, I hop out hit the 8&9 number pad and it locks. I run in real quick do my thing come back out punch in my code and it unlocks.
Under that scenario it will work, you are correct. My key is in my pocket I jump out, Expy Running, I don't want it to double honk...is that OK with you. I have done it on the Edge, and it should be doable on the Expy. This is one of the most common settings people change with Forscan. It is on the common settings of the F-150 Forscan sheet. Why are you stuck on us not changing it? There are work a rounds for a lot of the settings, but the bottom line, it can be changed.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Under that scenario it will work, you are correct. My key is in my pocket I jump out, Expy Running, I don't want it to double honk...is that OK with you. I have done it on the Edge, and it should be doable on the Expy. This is one of the most common settings people change with Forscan. It is on the common settings of the F-150 Forscan sheet. Why are you stuck on us not changing it? There are work a rounds for a lot of the settings, but the bottom line, it can be changed.
Easy killer

I'm not stuck on anything and could care less what you change on your car. You contradicted yourself earlier when you said using the key pad wouldn't lock the car with the key inside, that's all I'm saying.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Jeff in that it is most convenient to keep the key fob in my pocket and not worry about leaving it in the vehicle.

So, Loki, just how easy would it be to change this setting in my '17 Expy? Seems l may have missed something here...

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changes aren't always for everyone 07 and there's nothing wrong with that but maybe give him a break as the poor guy is trying to answer questions from 5 different people and everything I've seen from him, he's not forcing anyone to do anything, nor is he looking for any kind of compensation....and hell, we all make mistakes. Not so sure of that? Ask my EX wife, she probably has a SCROLL that she could read to you listing mine<LOL>

Therein lies the beauty of a Girlfriend....ask Kerry and she won't be able to tell you a thing I do wrong....but her and my ex are friends now so they talk....that can't be good for me.....nothing like walking into the ex's kitchen and seeing the two chatting....then get very quiet when I walk into the room.....uh oh.

We've got a good group here or i wouldn't be here....so let's keep it fun...and do or not as each one of us chooses...it's all good!

jeff

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Easy killer

I'm not stuck on anything and could care less what you change on your car. You contradicted yourself earlier when you said using the key pad wouldn't lock the car with the key inside, that's all I'm saying.

Nope, never said the keypad. Said it would not lock with a Key inside. My wife and I typically both have our Keys with us. Our Expy will not lock from one fob, if the other is still in the car.(Also going to take care of that with some coding) Honestly, never tried to use the Keypad to lock whele vehicle running. Only use that when I am already outside without my key, and need to grab something I left in the SUV. I don't often get out with my key on me, but when I do and it honks at like 12 at night or 5:30AM when I am leaving for work, it would annoy the wife, because my car is right under our bedroom windows. Make one settings change, and Tada, problem solved.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with Jeff in that it is most convenient to keep the key fob in my pocket and not worry about leaving it in the vehicle.

So, Loki, just how easy would it be to change this setting in my '17 Expy? Seems l may have missed something here...

If I was near you, it would take about 5 minutes, and cost you a beer. I am easy that way. Investing in an ODBII module just to make this change, wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. Your best option would be a tech at your dealer that is willing to dig a little. The setting is in the BCM(Body Control Module). Andy posted the register string that could point him in the right direction.