Front diff bearings bad...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z4Mguy

Reaction score
Noticed a hum/vibration coming from what I thought was the front driver wheel area a couple weeks back. Had tires rotated/balanced (31k on the factory Hankooks), but it didn’t go away. So I took it to the dealer, since its under warranty, initially after driving, they thought it was a wheel bearing, but that turned out not to be the case on the lift. They then drove it with “chassis ears” on it and isolated it to the front diff, believe it needs new bearings. Unfortunately, some of the parts are on backorder, so they pulled the front drive shaft and I’ve got it back now, waiting on parts. With the drive shaft gone, the hum/vibration is gone as well. They say its safe to drive like this until the parts come in. Anyone else had front differential bearing problems?

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats ODD, but things happen. what did the driveshaft bearings look like? I ask because them going bad is highly more likely than the front differential bearings

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Have you tried engaging the 4x4 or 4 auto to see if it does away? I'm asking because the IWE is a common failure and causing a humming/grinding up front. Engaging the 4x4 will usually make it stop

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Z4 what year is your SUV? You posted in 3rd edition, but stated it's under warranty. Always best to post year, model, and in some cases engine. Could be the previous owner was very hard on your vehicle, causing the bearing issue. I'm impressed that shop used the body ears to narrow down the noise. I can't tell you how many times I've recommended that technique, but most shops just want to play hunt and peck, and wonder why their diagnostic went wrong. Shops I worked at used the ears, and had a very high fix rate on our customer's vehicles.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

Z4Mguy

Reaction score
Sorry, 2017 Exp EL Limited 4x4. CPO purchase. I tried with it in 2H, 4A, and 4H - noise was almost the same regardless of mode. I did not ask about the drive shaft bearings. The shop foreman who drove it with me the first time mentioned the hub locking system as a more common cause but did not think it sounded like that and didn't drive like that.