Front end wobble/Shimmy in 19' Stealth Edition vs Platinum Edition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So we're about to pull the trigger as we're sold on Expedition but going back and forth between Stealth w/ tow package and Platinum. Here's the issue though. In the last few days I've driven 5 Limited all with the heavy-duty tow package and 2 Platinums. Every single Limited feels like the steering wheel shakes and there's a noticeable front end shimmy when accelerating quickly through the gears to speed. Kinda feels like alignment is off or wheel bent. When I drive the Platinum it's much smoother and not notable. Same engine but very very different. I know the engine is tuned differently to get the extra 25hp but does anyone know exactly what makes the engine feel so different...aka much better? The issue is we love the look of the Stealth and with the 303A and convenance package it actually MSRP's about the same as the top of the line Platinum! My wife wants to pull the trigger on Stealth because she loves the look but based solely on performance I don't see how I can justify buying a loaded to the tilt Limited that drives like this. Anyone else experience this shimmy/front end wobble on their 18 or 19 Limited? For those hat own a Platinum did you notice the truck running that much better if you also test drove the Limited? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Oh...Lastly. New to the brand but what's up with lack of color options when searching? Seems like 70-80% of Stealth & Platinum Expeditions are only available in white or black?! What gives? Are these two colors really that popular?? Plus...seems like 2nd row captains seats are all the rage! We're going more practical and although the captains seats will keep the kids from choking each other we really want the option of having an 8 seater and keeping that barrier between 2nd-3rd row for our dog. Curious if anyone else felt this frustration when looking to buy.

Thanks all!

Shawn

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My suggestion is to order the vehicle the way you want it. Delivery on mine took about 6 weeks, but I think you should plan on 8 weeks. I did better on pricing too.

I would think the differences are based on the wheel size and the CCD suspension. I highly recommend the technology package with whichever vehicle you go with. Lots of safety items in the package.

I wanted a bench too. No problem on a special order. you can pick your colors too. I added the 2nd row inflatable seat belts, I did not see any stock vehicle with this feature.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both the Limited Stealth and Platinum come stock with 22" wheels and CCD suspension. The behavior could result from a number of things including but not limited to flat spots on tires from vehicles sitting on the lot for extended periods or even different drive modes selected which affects CCD suspension compliance.

As a side note, I have a 302A Limited with CCD suspension that orginally came with the 22" wheels. I switched to the 20" wheels and quickly got rid of the stock Toyos that come on the 20" wheels since they were prone to flat spots. I got Michelin LTX M/S 2's and they are night and day in terms of ride quality from the stock Toyos. I think the 22" wheels come with Hancook tires, and not sure if they have the same tendency to flat spot.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tjey do use different wheels but both have ccd. If possible, drive an expy ltd with the 302a pkg and aluminum wheels since they use those wheels on the plat as well. Ive only driven the new expy with ccd once, idk if i felt what you felt, it did have a fine shimmy at times but i think thats was becuz it was so new. If they are the same price, i go with the platty becuz the seats and decor are better

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In addition to what others have mentioned above, I'll copy what I responded in the other forum...I have not experienced any "shimmy" in my "Special Edition" Limited which is pretty much a twin to the "Stealth" package. One or more of the vehicles you test drove may have had the lane-keeping set to automatically override lane-departure, in which it will fight your attempts to change lanes etc. w/o engaging the turn signal. If on, it can be quite aggravating. If you go back for another test drive, check the center of the dash (over the transmission gear indicator) for the lane-keeping diagonal dashed lines and see if there are >> and << on either side of the lane lines. If they are there, then someone will have to go into settings and turn that feature off. Once off, all you should feel is an occasional vibration of the steering wheel. When my vehicle was delivered new, it had pretty much every feature activated and some of them I had to change.

Bonji

Reaction score
My 2019 Stealth gets the Shimmy Legs when I have too much mud and gravel packed in the 22s. If I clean it out with the power washer, she's smooth as butter.

I will eventually migrate to a more "closed-face" wheel.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks all. It's not the lane assist but tire size may have something to do with it. We have 2012 Land Rover with 19's so maybe not used to the 22's. Regarding pricing. I consider myself a good negotiator and based on a thread on this forum and NADA range of prices paid I'm curious why dealers in CT look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them what I want to pay. NADA says best price paid on Platinum is $64,910. I'm assuming this could have some employee pricing and may not include destination but a dealer laughed at me yesterday when he asked how much profit he was allowed to make over invoice and I stated I wasn't even willing to pay invoice. I was in car business years ago in a different life and I know there are multiple things that account to getting best price but knowing how quick the value drops on these things there's no way I'm paying what they're asking. I did receive a price on a 2019 Platinum w/ tow package today for $70,280 and a Stealth w/ convenance package and captains 2nd row seats for $68,077. These didn't include the 0% financing and knowing there's free money out there I want to try and snag this too. Can anyone with similar packages feel comfortable sharing what they paid or tips on how these dealers are getting there. Thanks all!

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks all. It's not the lane assist but tire size may have something to do with it. We have 2012 Land Rover with 19's so maybe not used to the 22's. Regarding pricing. I consider myself a good negotiator and based on a thread on this forum and NADA range of prices paid I'm curious why dealers in CT look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them what I want to pay. NADA says best price paid on Platinum is $64,910. I'm assuming this could have some employee pricing and may not include destination but a dealer laughed at me yesterday when he asked how much profit he was allowed to make over invoice and I stated I wasn't even willing to pay invoice. I was in car business years ago in a different life and I know there are multiple things that account to getting best price but knowing how quick the value drops on these things there's no way I'm paying what they're asking. I did receive a price on a 2019 Platinum w/ tow package today for $70,280 and a Stealth w/ convenance package and captains 2nd row seats for $68,077. These didn't include the 0% financing and knowing there's free money out there I want to try and snag this too. Can anyone with similar packages feel comfortable sharing what they paid or tips on how these dealers are getting there. Thanks all!
This thread may be of interest to you - https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/how-much-are-you-guys-paying-for-brand-new-19s.38273/